Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » When does a Nuvaring "cycle" finish?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When does a Nuvaring "cycle" finish?
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I have been searching for a similar topic to this one but couldn't find it. I am going to stop using Nuvaring and tomorrow I am supposed to take the ring I am currently using, aka my last one, out. My question is, for how long after I take it out am I protected against pregnancy? Would that be until I should put the new one in, ie. a whole week?
Thanks in advance!

[ 09-14-2010, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Kotori ]

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since (if I understand correctly) you will NOT be putting a new one in following the week off, you should figure your protection ends when you take the ring out.

If you were putting a new one in, you could count on protection for that whole placebo week, as that next one influences effectiveness for any sperm remaining in the vagina from sex during that week, but since you are not, you cannot.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You understood correctly, however I do not understand one thing. If the new ring has a sort of "retroactive" influence, killing those sperm still remaining in the vagina, wouldn't it be a problem to have unprotected sex some hours before removing the ring, because of this same reason?
Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why a person can have just as much effectiveness during the placebo week is that protection is being provided from the ring that was in the cycle before, and then will be provided by the next ring after.

That matters because sperm can live in the vagina for several days, potentially even a few days longer.

Again, this would be a different conversation if you were going to keep using the ring, putting a new one in after the placebo week. Make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

I understand now [Smile] I meant my second question in a kind of literal way as well, though - meaning, if I were to have sex (with no protection other than the ring) today, then remove it tomorrow morning, wouldn't I be at risk then? I guess that depends on the sperm and how many days they live for then, which I don't think is a sure and fixed thing... so in case of doubt I guess it's condom time [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

No, you would not, particularly if you were putting a new ring in again next week.

But without doing that, we just couldn't say how effective your ring would or wouldn't be, because that's not how effectiveness for it has been figured.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.