Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Did I do the right thing??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did I do the right thing??
loveyoumake
Activist
Member # 41194

Icon 5 posted      Profile for loveyoumake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've known this guy, lets call him Jerry, for about a year or so. I met him through my best friend and I only hung out with him one time along with my best friend and a couple other people. I always thought he had a crush on me, we used to flirt and I found him attractive, but nothing ever happened between us at all. I ended up getting into a serious relationship (my current boyfriend) and so the flirting stopped between Jerry and I and we stopped talking all together.

I couldn't even tell you much about Jerry because all we ever talked about was out majors in college and that sort of thing. I don't really know any of his likes or dislikes or anything-- I'm saying this just to show how little I really know of him.

Anyway, I hadn't talked to Jerry in months when all of a sudden he text messaged me the other night. It was so random and unexpected since we haven't been communicating at all. He told me he used to have a crush on me and I told him I used to have one on him too. Then last night, he text messaged me again and said "whats up cutie?" and I just responded with "Nothing, doing homework... you?" He then told me he was in bed and that he wished I was there... I told him that would never happen in reality, and he said "Um yeah it would." I then was like "I have a boyfriend." and he responded "That means nothing to me. He's a loser, I've met him before. Besides he wouldn't have to know." I got really angry at that comment because he was just assuming that I'd do something like that, and he just had no respect for my boyfriend or me! So, I responded with "I thought you were different. No there isn't a loop hole. We can't talk anymore Jerry. What even gave you the idea that I would ever cheat?.." I woke up to a text message this morning from him that just said "Wow ok."

My question is, do you think I did the right thing by telling him we can't talk anymore? Or did I not need to go that far? I didn't text back to his "Wow ok." I'm just curious what others think of this situation.

Thank you so much.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like Jerry was talking to you in a way that was pretty darn disrespectful, almost bordering on creepy, before he even GOT to what he said about your boyfriend.

So, were it me, I wouldn't be talking to this person again either.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveyoumake
Activist
Member # 41194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveyoumake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Heather!
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.