Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Question
princess562008
Activist
Member # 42812

Icon 5 posted      Profile for princess562008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! You guys have helped me many times before and I hope that you can again! I am on Ocella birth control and I have been on it for over 7 months. I went to the doctor yesterday over an infected ingrown toenail. They prescribed me "Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium for Oral Suspension UPS." When I went to the pharmacy to pick up the medication I asked them if it could decrease the effectiveness of my Ocella medication. The pharmacist said that it could and that I should use a backup method of birth control until my next period. I was planning on doing as they said but last night my boyfriend and I had sex with no backup form of protection. So I went ahead and continued with my birth control pills (my period just ended yesterday) and did not start the amoxicillin yet. How long should I wait before I begin taking the amoxicillin medication to make sure that I don't get pregnant from the sex last night? I hope that I made everything clear, thank you guys for your time!
Posts: 41 | From: usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Know that when it comes to data on whether or not antibiotics interfere with BC efficacy, everyone is still on the fence. We're on the fence enough that with some antibiotics, like amoxicillin, a backup is suggested.

Really, its so important you prevent an infection of your foot, so I would not advise waiting to take those antibiotics. Unfortunately, you made a choice not to back up despite advice to do so, so this kind of mucks up the works.

So, my advice would be to start your antibiotics, but DO back up from here on out during this next pill pack.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
princess562008
Activist
Member # 42812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for princess562008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that it was really dumb to do that. Trust me, I am kicking myself now for it. I know that you suggested not waiting to start the amoxicillin, but simply out of curiousity how many days does one have to take the pill before being in the clear of not getting pregnant for sex that they had a a few days ago? Like would it be two days or a week or whatever? I do plan on starting the amoxicillin immediatly, I am just curious. Also, while I am here I have another question about birth control. If you have sex during the week of "reminder pills" are you more liky to get pregnant than you would during a week of the "active pills?" Thanks!
Posts: 41 | From: usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have the same level of protection during the placebo period as you do during the active pills.

There's really not a "how many days" answer per number of days of taking the pill to be in the clear. Rather, it's just about taking each pill in the pack every day, not missing any days, taking pills in order, and continuing to the next pack without more than the 7-day placebo lapse.

Again, I wouldn't sweat this too much since you hadn't actually started the antibiotics, and since it may not have any effect anyway. Just backup once you start taking the medication.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.