Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Switching from the ring to cesia pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Switching from the ring to cesia pills
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick question - I had an appointment with my gyn today to get my prescription for cesia pills. I'm supposed to take the ring out tonight. My gyn told me that I'd take it out, have my period, and then start my pills. Next Friday.

I read online that you start pills on the first day of your period, or the first Sunday after you start your period. When do I start taking the pills?

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are just starting up a hormonal birth control method like the pill or the ring, you should ideally do so on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after the start of your period.

However, since you are already on a hormonal method of birth control, you'll want to seamlessly transition from one to the other, to keep up the protection and make it easier on your body. So on the day that you'd put in your new ring, you instead take your first pill.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks.
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Okay, so, a new question! I went to the pharmacy today to get my pills. I was prescribed Cesia, which I thought was the generic for Ortho-Tricyclen Lo, or something like that? They didn't have Cesia but they did have Velivet, so that's what I have. They said it was the generic for Cesia. Is it exactly the same? What's the generic for what?
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Velivet and Cesia are both generics for Ortho TriCyclen-Lo. When they create a new brand medication, they get a patent on it that initially lasts 7 years. No other company can produce a generic for that medication until those 7 years are up (or whenever the patent expires, as they can change things about the medication or the prescribing information to get an extension on the patent). Once the patent is up, you generally see many different companies produce generic forms of it- especially so with hormonal birth control. So what you got has the exact same levels of hormones as the Orth TriCyclen-Lo, and the Cesia. The only major difference is going to be what filler increadients they use. The fillers can include what they use to bind the drug, or ingredients in the placebo pills.

So you still have a generic for OTC-Lo, just a different generic than originally prescribed. They are all interchangeable for eachother, unless the doctor specifically writes not to substitute for what she wrote for on the prescription itself.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Thanks!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.