Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Clarification regarding NuvaRing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clarification regarding NuvaRing
cloverskies
Neophyte
Member # 44546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloverskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi [Smile] I'm a first time user of the NuvaRing and would appreciate some clarification in order to understand the process and take care of myself better. (And incase this would be of help my boyfriend and I are virgins and have been in a serious monogamous relationship for a year)

1) The idea I got from reading other posts on the board was that I should double up on contraceptives (ring + condom) to be extra safe from pregnancy and STI especially during the first cycle of using the hormonal contraceptive since our bodies need to adjust to it (which is something I have already decided to do from the beginning). If the condom does rip or if it slips off during that first cycle or if his semen were to come in direct contact with my vulva or vagina would I still be well protected (in spite of it being only the first month) or would it be a huge issue? This may sound a bit far-fetched but what are the chances of pregnancy under those circumstances?

I'm just a bit nervous about this because while I was researching I noticed that some sites stressed that it would be safest to only have unprotected sex AFTER the first full cycle of hormonal contraceptive use, but it didn't address what would happen if during protected sex the condom accidentally rips during that first cycle and how bad that situation would be.

2) I understand that during the 4th week of using the Nuvaring (the week the ring is not inside) I would be still protected from pregnancy and the hormones will continue to work. When I put in the ring again to start the second cycle (or any following cycle) would I have to wait a full week again before unprotected sex (not that I plan to, just using that example in the event a mistake happens with the condom and it rips or slips) and follow the same wait-a-week-after-inserting-ring procedure as the first cycle? Would I need to avoid sex for a week after each time a new ring is put in/new cycle begins (for fear of a ripped condom)?

Sorry for the long winded post and if I caused any confusion!

I really appreciate any help or information. Thanks a lot for your time [Smile] !

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have some really great questions [Smile]

You are right, most hormonal contraceptive manufacturers and doctors suggest waiting 7 days after starting a contraceptive (if a Sunday start) to go without a barrier method, and we here at Scarleteen suggest going a full cycle. Were the condom to fail during the first week of using the NuvaRing, then you would definitly want to consider getting Emergency Contraception, because your body most likely would not have had enough time to let the hormones do their thing. If it happened weeks 2 or 3, we would probably suggest you get it just to be safe. If it happened week 4 (the week with the ring out), then you would most likely be ok without it.

Once you've started the ring, and are on subsequent months, you are protected all the time, so no, you would not have to wait a week after inserting a new ring. As long as you insert it on time, you should still be covered by the previous months hormones.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloverskies
Neophyte
Member # 44546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloverskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much ASargent42!

I definitely feel more relieved after reading your response.

So if the condom does break during the first cycle would you say I should definitely use EC just to be extra safe? I am just a bit hesitant to use it if it were not required or extremely urgent since EC seems to contain a huge dose of hormones.

Thanks again for your time [Smile]

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about we talk some about how to best use condoms so that breakage is highly unlikely?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloverskies
Neophyte
Member # 44546

Thank you for the suggestion [Smile] I'll look into some of the articles and threads on the website/forum! Is it mainly an issue of being well lubricated and leaving space for the sperm at the tip?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.