Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Cost of the Ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cost of the Ring
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two months ago I started the ring for the first time. I'd read all about it on its website and on here, learned a lot, it sounded great, and once I used it I really, really liked it. After one month I started looking for another one--I went about 6 or 7 different places, and it cost about $70 without insurance and $45 with. How is this a reasonable birth control method? Is everyone paying this much? How can it sell if it costs so much? I only get to see my boyfriend every month or so now, so I'm not even really needing protection most of the time, so that would be a ridiculous option.

My doctor gave me another ring free to keep my cycles regular, and I am about to switch to pills (Cesia). I wish this could have been avoided. I did ask my doctor when she wrote the prescription how much it would cost, and she didn't know. I don't know why my doctor and nurse would have recommended this method if it was so costly.

Am I alone here, or, what's going on?

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By all means, the cost of birth control, particularly for hormonal methods, can be high. Of course, it's never going to cost as much as it is to be pregnant and have and raise a kid, but still.

That sounds a bit on the high end, but overall, like a typical ball park for many people for pills, patches or rings. Are you insured? If not, if you let me know what state you're in, we can see if your state -- as some do -- has a program which might cover your contraception.

If you are, it may also be a matter of your insurance (like many, unfortunately), not offering very good coverage for contraception.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talked to a few of my friends on pills. One pays around 10 or 12 dollars, another pays 5. I'm not in my state now, but my mom at home checked at the pharmacy there and it was the same price for our insurance. So, it's probably just that my type of insurance (LA blue cross blue shield) doesn't cover it much? I know it covers some, bringing the price down from 70 to 45.

I'm a little bummed about the ring not working out, because I really liked it, but I don't mind using the pill I guess. I just felt discouraged because I'm starting over with the whole process.

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insurance plans and providers vary so much, I couldn't say what the deal with yours is. And as someone who has been uninsured her whole adult life, I'm one of the least out-of-touch people there is with plans.

What state are you in right now?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I'd like to add that NuvaRing is a brand medication, so you are automatically going to be paying more for it than say, one of your friends who may be on a generic version of a pill. Just saying those so you have more of an idea why it does cost so much.)

[ 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: ASargent42 ]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing you can try is to see if your insurance plan has a mail order pharmacy that you can use. You should be able to either call or log-on and find out if this is an option for you.

If so, then you may need to go back to your doctor and ask them to write the script for a 90-day supply. You send that into the pharmacy and they'll send you 3 months worth, usually at a significant savings over the regular pharmacy price. This is great for things that you use regularly (not so much for sudden illnesses, etc.). For example, my Rx coverage is not that great this year...so at a regular pharmacy, NuvaRing would run me $60 a month! Via mail order, it would be $75 for a 3-month supply (so $25 a month).

The biggest catch with this is that you MUST remember to re-order a couple of weeks before you run out of medication so that they can process and mail your order. You can't leave it until a day or two before you need a new ring and then expect it to show up.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

I'm in Tennessee at college.

I really think that switching to generic pills is a better option for me, cost-wise and hassle-wise.
=P

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly, whatever option works best for you.

If it helps...when I was in college (out of state) and on the pill, I still used the mail order pharmacy via my insurance. At the time, that meant I was getting 3 months worth of pills for $15 and they shipped directly to me...so for me it was not only cheaper (would have cost me $10 a month at a regular pharmacy), but also easier than having to run to the pharmacy every month.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.