Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Two Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two Questions
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everybody. I have two questions this time (and you're thinking, oh, yay!)

1. The menstrual cup. I use tampons a lot during my period, because if I don't I am always soo nervous about spotting all over my clothes. I also exercise (bike riding and horseback riding mostly). I know tampons have negative aspects, so I'm considering the menstrual cup. I've read about it, but no one's ever sat down and told me all about it, so, I really don't know anything much. There are so many kinds. How does it work? I heard you fold it up, then how does it collect period stuff? Would it be a good option for someone living in a college dorm (how often do you take it out?) Etc. ?

2. My second question is on another topic. I wear lightdays pantyliners all the time, even if I'm not on my period. My panties would get super yucky without them. Is this necessary? normal? I mean, obviously it's necessary for me, but what about other people? I know my sister was surprised when I told her I wear them all the time. Sometimes I seriously think I'm starting my period, even though it's the wrong time of month, and I go to the bathroom and it's just that much discharge. It's been like that a long time.

I had another question and I forgot what it was. Oh well, these two can start for now.

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildOrchid
Neophyte
Member # 44071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildOrchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay a quick answer for you:
1) menstrual cups are just little cups that are put in your vagina (nearer the opening than tampons). Blood just trickles down to them. After use you just clean the cup with water (more thorough cleaning can be done between periods). Once you learn how to insert the cup properly there shouldn't be any leaks. British manufacturer's site suggests to change them 4 times during 24 hours. As for living in close quarters with a lot of people I think a cup would be a good option. You don't have to store pads - saves space. Blood doesn't clot around your labia - you don't have to wash up every time you change the medium.
2) Some women are like that. I'm too. Remember that vaginal discharge is just your natural way of maintaining a healthy environment in your genitals. It's just mucus, dead cells and friendly Lactobacillus. If your discharge changes color (apart from natural color change during menstrual cycle) or is tinged with blood go see a doctor.

Posts: 2 | From: Gdańsk, Poland | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Hey WildOrchid: I appreciate your help, but this area of the boards is where users post who want staff and volunteer replies only, okay? See you on the rest of the boards! [Smile]

HeyLife: I did a nice, big piece on cups you can take a look at here for more info: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/what_are_menstrual_cups

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only big concern with the cup is: well, two actually: can I do all sorts of exercise with it in, and two, I have to rinse it multiple times a day? I couldn't really do that in a public bathroom.
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cups like the Divacup can be left in much longer than tampons, both practically and safety-wise, so no, you won't likely have to.

And you can also do anything while wearing one you can do while wearing a tampon.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.