Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Another question about starting the ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another question about starting the ring
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm getting super technical here, but my period was supposed to start yesterday. Sometimes it's late, so I'm not worried, and I haven't had sex in weeks. Anyway, it should be coming along any time now, and I'm about to start the ring for the first time. My gynecologist told me to put the ring in for the first time ever on the 4th day of my period. So the question is: what if my period starts in the afternoon or evening, or in the middle of the night? What do I count as Day 1?

Thanks.

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My period started a few days ago, in the late evening. Do I count that day as Day 1, or the next full day?
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'd be day 1, when it started.

I'm, not sure why your OB/GYN said the 4th day, though, that's a bit of an odd suggestion. Generally, it's suggested to start on day one, including by the manufacturer.

Did your gyn explain why she said day 4? Are you sure you didn't mishear him/her?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

I didn't know that.

She didn't explain why. I'm almost certain she said day 4--but I could be wrong I suppose. What do you suggest? Should I start it now, or wait til day 4?

HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Also, I was planning on using the NuvaTime computer program (I'm on my computer all the time and also am very forgetful). I see now that it says to insert it on day 1. Should I insert it now and put that I did on day 1? I don't want to mess up my whole month-to-month schedule.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd do day one, especially if your OB/GYN didn't have a rationale for the odd suggestion, and particularly since "first" could sound a lot like "four."

Just so you know, you can really start the ring, patch or pill at any time, it's just that a) it's more likely to be effective sooner if you start on day one and b) more likely to keep your cycles in alignment with the ones you have, and to reduce breakthrough bleeding.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Okay. So, just to double-check, this is day 3, almost exactly 2 days after my period started, and I should put the ring in for the first time now, and then tell NuvaTime that I did it today? Or that I did it two days ago?
Heather
Member # 3

Ah: I thought we were at day one today.

You know, I don't honestly know, and I don't have the instructions for their program to know what to advise you.

Nuvaring has a customer service number: 1-877-NuvaRing

Given the confusion (and again, my not understanding why your doctor said day 4 specifically), I'd suggest calling them or your doctor at this point.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

I just read on their website that you should insert it on or before Day 5. So I guess I'll go ahead and do it!
Heather
Member # 3

Like I said, you certainly can start in that window, I'm just not sure why your GYN said 4 specifically, and don't know how which start days work with the computer program.

So, if you can't figure out the latter, I'd call their consumer line.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.