Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Questions about sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about sex
i need answers
Neophyte
Member # 43481

Icon 5 posted      Profile for i need answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so my boyfriend and I are planning on having sex. I'm very positive I'm ready to have sex, but I have this fear about getting knocked up, and I believe I'll ALWAYS have that fear; no matter how many times I'll have sex in the future.

I was reading on the site, and it says condoms will protect you from sex. I'm sooo scared that it'll break during sex :|

So..before we have sex, if I have oral sex with him, that way he'll have an orgasim before we actually do it and we have sex with protection, is there any chance of me getting knocked up?

Oh, and what if you don't use lube during sex?
Does that have any affect on anything?

--------------------
:)

Posts: 6 | From: anywhere | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A man having an orgasm before intercourse doesn't offer any protection from pregnancy. After all, a man can always orgasm or ejaculate again.

However, condoms used properly offer 96% protection. So, if you two use them properly every time, you have a very low risk of pregnancy. If you want more protection than that, you can take a look at our chart for effectiveness ratings for other methods combined with condoms: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Not using lubricant for intercourse, especially with condoms, often results in intercourse not feeling all that great sometimes, especially if it goes on for a while. Using lube also helps keep condoms from breaking. You can get lube the same places you get condoms.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i need answers
Neophyte
Member # 43481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i need answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okayy, thanks.

What's the chances of a condom breaking without using lube?

--------------------

Posts: 6 | From: anywhere | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where I'd find any data on that. All I can say is that it's less likely AND more likely intercourse will feel good to you. So, it's one of those things that when you can have it, it's usually a good thing people want. If you're out at some point, you're out, and if you're lubricating enough on your own it can be fine, but things just don't always work out that way, especially with the added friction of condoms.

Do you have issues with lubricants you want to discuss?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i need answers
Neophyte
Member # 43481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i need answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank youuu.

And, no not really.

My boyfriend says I "lubricate myself" enough already.

So, thanks:)

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Thing is, your boyfriend can't feel what it feels like for YOU. Only you can. A partner isn't the expert on what things feel like to us: we are. So, if you find that there's too much friction without lube, or YOU want to do a little something extra to keep condoms intact, that shouldn't be up to your boyfriend.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.