Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Should I....?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I....?
Scarlett121
Neophyte
Member # 43524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scarlett121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the urine tests at PPH any more reliable than the one's at drug stores? Should I bother going to a PPH if I've already gotten 4 negatives? Do they do anything different with their tests?

I mean...I took 4 tests, I read the instructions throughly...is there any reason for me to go to a PPH to get another urine test done? All of my urine tests were taken over a month (5 to almost 6 weeks) after my risk. Is it safe to say I'm not pregnant? I'm such a worry-wart. So sorry. =/

I've read about women that have hCG issues, and tests can't pick anything up, and when they do, they'll be almost 7-8 weeks pregnant, and I keep fearing I could be one of them, which is why I keep repeatidly testing over, and over, and considering going to a clinic.

Also, is it true you need to have a certain body fat percentage to conceieve, as well as a certain BMI? My periods are too irregular because of my crazy loss of weight, so I can't wait for a missed period, really, to test. Which is why I waited 5 to nearly 6 weeks after my risk to test- 4 times. Each with at least 48 hours or even 5 days in between.

[ 08-05-2009, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Scarlett121 ]

Posts: 15 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

A urine test at a clinic is going to be "more reliable" only in that there is a care provider there making sure it's done correctly. In other words, it is not going to be more sensitive than something that you can buy.

If you've taken multiple tests at more than 10-14 days past your risk and have gotten negatives AND you're sure you've followed the directions, then I'd say it's quite safe to say that you are not pregnant.

Is it possible for a woman to have some hCG issue that makes detection difficult? Yes. However, we are talking about a tiny tiny tiny percentage here. Likely only hundredths of a percent of the whole population. I know that the stories you read online make it seem like this happens to everybody...but that's just not true. Sometimes people reporting this may not have been testing correctly or reading the results right. To actually have this happen is pretty darn rare.

In terms of weight and conception...it's not so much requiring a certain percentage. When your body is healthy, it tends to be easier to become pregnant. So being underweight or overweight can sometimes make it more difficult. However, on it's own weight will generally not absolutely prevent pregnancy. There are plenty of women who are underweight/overweight/recently lost or gained weight who still become pregnant. Does that make sense?

[ 08-05-2009, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarlett121
Neophyte
Member # 43524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scarlett121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that does make sense. Thank you. However, what if your periods are very irregular, does that make it even more difficult? When this risk occurred, my period was absent for almost 4 months.

I did follow the instructions very well when taking the pregnancy tests, everything showed up within the time frame it said it should, the control window on two of my tests (my other two tests don't have control windows) showed that the test worked properly, and the tests weren't faulty or expired.
However, I didn't take any of them in the morning, and I made sure not to drink a lot of fluids beforehand. My tests stated it doesn't need to be taken in the morning, and it was over a month after the incident, I didn't think it would matter.

Posts: 15 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Irregular periods can make it more difficult to conceive...but not for every woman. Fertility is a pretty complex thing to evaluate. So we can't really say that just because you have long cycles or weigh Z amount, you'll have a harder time getting pregnant. There are a lot of different variables that influence the process. Part of it depends on what's causing the irregularity and how often you are actually ovulating.

You may want to speak with your health care provider about why you go so long between periods.

It sounds like you took the tests properly, so I don't see a reason not to trust the results. If you're still concerned, it seems to me that it would be best to ask for a quantitative blood test at this point to really put the issue to rest. With that sort of test, they can tell you exactly how much hCG is (or is not) present.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.