Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » just curious...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just curious...
SillySammy
Neophyte
Member # 42065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SillySammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I am 16 years old and my boyfriend and I have been talking about having sex for a while. He had stated that he was worried about "popping my cherry" and that it would hurt me. I tried to explain to him what a hymen was but I couldn't really find that right words...I did try to tell him that it varies with girls and after a while it wears away, that it doesn't necesarrily have to be "popped". And then I started wondering around what age does the hymen start to wear away (if the age even matters at all)? I kind of want to maybe be able to know if it is possible that it could have worn away already? Or just something lol
Thanks =]

Posts: 5 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't really something you can put a number to. Some women are born with their hymens largely already gone. Some women have what are known as imperforate or septate hymens and need surgery to allow penetration/menstrual flow.

But, most of the time, hymenal tissue to worn over time by physical activity, tampon use, masturbation, etc. All we're talking is a thin piece of membrane without nerve endings. Nothing more.

So, it's absolutely possible that your hymen is almost completely worn. How familiar are you with your body and your genitals? Because knowing yourself first will allow you to get a better idea of how to direct him when it comes to sex.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SillySammy
Neophyte
Member # 42065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SillySammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well until very recently I've never really been interested in how my vulva looks or feels or works. I've never really poked around down there and been like "Oh that's my hymen" and then do it again later and "Hey it's not there anymore" I don't really have a feel to compare it with I guess. I'm not very physically active (though I used to be) and I do use tampons. My boyfriend also fingers me every so often but that's about all the activity that's gone on down there. I have had a visit with my GYN and she said everything was ok down there..she didn't say anything about the hymen though and at that time i didn't even think to ask anything about it
Posts: 5 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.