Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » When is BC pill effective?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When is BC pill effective?
downtownchic
Neophyte
Member # 43425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for downtownchic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I started taking the birth control pill, Aviane 28, on July 9 (also the first day of my period) and was wondering if I am protected from pregnancy by now? So far I’ve followed the directions perfectly and taken one pill everyday at around the same time. The packet says that you’re automatically protected if you start on the first day of your period, but I have heard otherwise. I just wanted to be certain since this is my first time on birth control and being sexually active. Thanks so much!

Posts: 11 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We generally recommend backing up birth control pills with another method like condoms for the whole first cycle. Women's bodies adjust to the pill at different times, and part of why we recommend it is so that there's plenty of time for you to get used to taking the pill at the same time each day.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
downtownchic
Neophyte
Member # 43425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for downtownchic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I’m already a daily pill taker since I'm a runner. I have to take supplements and vitamins as well as Adderall for my ADHD, so I basically just had to add the birth control pill to my routine. I had unprotected sex yesterday, so should there be a concern for pregnancy? Do you suggest getting an emergency contraceptive? Thanks so much!
Posts: 11 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.