Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Just a question about BCP and libido. (Not urgent in any way.)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just a question about BCP and libido. (Not urgent in any way.)
ladyface1
Neophyte
Member # 40278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyface1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok! So I've been on the pill for 6 months and I have noticed that my sex drive has gone down quite a bit. This is kind of sucks because I used to really enjoy sex, and I still do sometimes - just not nearly as often as I used to. And I hardly ever really want sex anymore, or initiate it. This is creating some problems in my relationship and is overall kind of bumming me out. So, I have a few questions...

1) Is this a problem that will likely go away if I wait longer, say a year?

2) What is my course of action if I choose to go off the pill? How long do I wait between switching methods?

3) Are there other methods that are less likely to decrease my sex drive? I don't feel comfortable relying on just condoms and I can't afford an IUD.

4) Should I just suck it up and deal with it because the benefits (maybe) outweigh the negatives?

Thanks for all of your help!

Posts: 13 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you've been on the pill for several months already, the side effects you have now - including loss of libido - are not likely to change unless you switch pill brands. (Generally, after about three months, your body has adjusted to the hormones in the pill and any side effects are really not going to change after that point.) Not every single pill brand will have the same side effects, so you may want to talk to your doctor about simply switching to a different type of pill, if it's working well for you otherwise.

If you decide simply to switch pill brands, you don't need to wait any time at all, you can simply start the new pack of the new type of pill after finishing the previous pack. The same goes for switching to another method entirely, like the patch or the ring. For a good rundown of what else is out there, have a lookie here: Birth Control Bingo!

Per your last question, that is entirely up to you. As I said, if you are otherwise happy with the pill, the first thing you might try is switching to a different type - there are a LOT of brands out there, not all of them will have the same side effects, and it is incredibly common to have to try a few different ones before you find one that works really well for you personally. Your doctor is the best person to talk to about that; they'll have a better idea of what brands you might have the most success with in terms of not affecting your sex drive.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5779 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyface1
Neophyte
Member # 40278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyface1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much. One more question though, I'm not sure if you'll know the answer to this one. My doctor gave me 12 months worth of prescriptions and I get 3 months filled at a time. I have 3 unused packs right now. If I wanted to switch brands, do you know how it would work? Would I have to return them or something?
Posts: 13 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, it isn't possible to return medication. So, if you do decide to switch brands now, those three packs will just go unused, or you can switch after you've used up those three months' worth of pills. It's really up to you, and what you're okay with in terms of payment for a new prescription when you still have some of your old one and how urgent you feel switching to a new brand is.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5779 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.