Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Just wondering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just wondering
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Teeny56943         Edit/Delete Post 
After my first post I'm a little curious about something else. I've heard different things about this and wondered what was accurate. if there was semen or sperm in a bathtub and then a girl takes a bath, could she get pregnant?
Posts: 34 | From: New york | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Semen has to come into direct contact with the vulva or vagina in order for there to be a pregnancy risk. Sperm can swim, but they definitely can't swim that well, and they need a very specific environment in order to survive more than a few minutes.

[ 06-25-2009, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teeny56943         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I see. So even if they swam to the vulva it would be impossible for pregnancy to occur?
Posts: 34 | From: New york | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Sorry I know these seem like dumb questions..
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're not dumb questions at all. Sometimes it just takes awhile for someone to respond - we do the best we can, but there usually is a bit of a wait.

To answer your question, pregnancy isn't possible in that scenario because it is pretty much impossible for sperm to make it to the vulva in the first place. Like I said, sperm are decent swimmers, but only in the appropriate environment, such as semen or vaginal fluids. Too, outside of the body, they survive about 20 minutes at most, and their lifespan in the hot water of a bath is likely to be much shorter than that. So, essentially, it's very unlikely that any sperm would survive in a bath long enough to try to make it to the vagina, and even if they did, it wouldn't be possible for them to get there.

For a bit more information, check out these links:
Where DID I Come From?
Sperm and a bucket of water?

[ 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Well I really appreciate your answers nd how they were so quick!
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Glad I could help. [Smile]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.