Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » should i give my boyfriend a blow job?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: should i give my boyfriend a blow job?
that0nep3rs0n
Neophyte
Member # 40135

Icon 5 posted      Profile for that0nep3rs0n         Edit/Delete Post 
we're both virgins, and he is willing to return the favor. he doesn't seem to have genital herpes or anything like that. what is the risk that i will get an STD? i really don't want to risk getting an STD because my parents would kill me. please get back to me as soon as you can [Smile]

[ 09-06-2008, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: that0nep3rs0n ]

Posts: 2 | From: washington | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thatonep3rson. Welcome to Scarleteen. [Smile]

The thing about STIs is that you can't tell someone has them by looking at them, or even looking at their genitals. With herpes, unless a person has an outbreak at the time, you aren't going to know they have it by looking. The only way to know for certain whether or not a person has an STI is if you see a copy of their full STI report. When becoming sexually active, it's a really good idea to start getting full screens for STIs. You can even offer to go together with your partner.

For any kind of sexual activity, you're going to want to use safer sex practices (and some kind of birth control if those activities pose a risk and you and your partner are not actively trying to become pregnant). So with oral sex you'll want to use a condom and dental dams. Lube is also always a good idea since it cuts down on friction, allowing things to feel much smoother. We have a couple of articles you may want to take a look at for further information on STIs and safer sex practices.
STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes (This one shoots off into several different articles so you can learn more about each STI.)
HPV & Herpes: Why Safer Sex Isn't Always Safe Enough
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

It sounds like from the title of your post you aren't sure if this is something you want to be doing. Only you can know when you are ready for any given sexual activity. Why not take a look at our Sex Readiness Checklist and see if you can figure out your emotions on this one? Feel free to pop back here with any further questions you may have.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
that0nep3rs0n
Neophyte
Member # 40135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for that0nep3rs0n         Edit/Delete Post 
is there still a big risk that i will get an STD?
Posts: 2 | From: washington | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anytime you are engaging in some kind of sexual activity with another person where there is genital contact, there is always a risk. By using safer sex practices and getting routine STI tests, you are greatly reducing those risks. Why not take a look at those articles I linked you, and take a look at this one too about getting tested for STIs.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.