Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Pills and Vitamin C

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Pills and Vitamin C
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've read in a couple places that very high doses of vitamin C can make birth control pills less effective. I'm assuming "very high doses" would include things like Airborne that as 1000mg of it in each dose (and they recommend 3 doses per day).

Are those assumptions right? When I found out about the possible interaction, I stopped using Airborne (which made me sad, it totally helps me get better faster) when I was relying on the birth control pill alone for contraception.

Also, I feel like someone should have told me about that... I only found out when I was doing more research on my type of pill when I first started considering going off it. No doctor/pharmacists warned me that something so simple as vitamin C could interact with the pill. Do you guys think that's a common experience? I would have been very unhappy if I didn't know about something like this, thought I was a perfect user, and ended up pregnant...

One last thing: What does the vitamin C do? limit your body's ability to absorb the pill?

Thanks!

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A high dose in most resources is usually listed as over 2000mg taken at any one time. So few people do high dose Vitamin C like that (especially since it'll often really upset a tummy), that you won't often find it on pill warnings.

I would not be concerned about doses of less than that, but with the airborne, I'd stick to two doses a day.

What Vitamin C can do when it comes to BC and a woman's reproductive system is to inhibit the production or assimilation or progesterone (to the dgree that while I wouldn't advise relying on it, some natural health practitioners use constant high doses as a form of natural birth control) which is an obvious potential issue with a medication which works by keeping your estrogen and progesterone at a very precise, controlled level.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

I'm sick now and realized I could definitely use Airborne because my boyfriend and I won't see each other for the next six weeks. Then I just started to wonder about the issue. I had no idea that vitamin C could do that... that's really interesting.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.