Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » ahh yeast infection? soo itchy!! :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ahh yeast infection? soo itchy!! :(
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 4 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

Well, I got my period last Thursday and there is only just a little residual blood/discharge now.

But for about the last 3 days or so of my period, my vaginal opening became extremely itchy!!! And I have no idea why...

I thought if you get a yeast infection around the time of your period, that it is usually before you get your period?

Anyways, I looked at my vulva and inside the opening to my vagina looks a bit red.. but there is no discharge that I can even judge by since my period is just ending!

I am afraid to wash there now, because I don't want to irritate it further.

The other thing is that I was masturbating a couple days ago... and I used some lube that I found in my room... I don't know how old it was, but there was quite a bit left.. and I didn't think it would hurt me. I don't know.. but I didn't use it IN my vagina at all.. just on my clitoris... but I don't know if this has anything to do with the yeast infection. I think I'll throw that lube out now [Roll Eyes]

I have a pap smear and everything coming up in 2 weeks... so I don't really want to have to schedule and appointment to go in now. I also know that my doctor that I am going to see in 2 weeks for this is also all booked up for now.

So my final question is; I have some vagisil and I also have some monistat... I actually got them within the last month and a half. So those are far from being expired.

But anyways.. I NEED some relief... the itching is just crazy. And I just feel gross.. is it okay to use the vagisil or monistat that I have????

Thank you so much!

[ 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: justpeachy ]

Posts: 61 | From: right here : ) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had a yeast infection before?

In other words, are you familiar enough with what one feels like to feel pretty confident self-diagnosing this?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I had one when I was like.. 11 I think it was, but anyways, I was pretty young... and I do remember it being itchy, just like what I am experiencing now. I just wish that there was even a tiny bit of discharge to go by. But there is basically none... since my period is just ending.

But I'm pretty sure it is a yeast infection.
What are some other possibilities though? I've never had vaginal sex, but the last time I had oral sex was in March. Nothing at all since then.

Thank you for your help Heather!

Posts: 61 | From: right here : ) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I have BV because I don't have fishy discharge... but could this itchiness be due to the lube that I used?? I've used it before, but it never made me itchy! & also it wasn't used on my vaginal opening. I used it on my clit...
should I be worried about this itchiness?

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given it's been such a while since you've had a yeast infection, and it sounds like itching is all that's going on -- rather than other signs too, like thick, curdly discharge -- I'd suggest seeing if you can't get that appointment pushed forward, rather than self-medicating and risking causing an imbalance you don't even have right now. Plus, the itching can be from something like Trich. You mentioned a few posts back you recently hooked up with an ex, right?

The lube wasn't a likely issue: lube sitting around for a while shouldn't make a difference.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
L7
Neophyte
Member # 38788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you post a question?
Posts: 4 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(At the right hand top of ever board page, you'll see text that says "new topic." Just click on that. [Smile] )

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Yes, I hooked up with my ex about 3 months ago... but we only performed oral sex. And probably manual. But, we've never had vaginal sex, even when we were dating we never engaged in that..

Can I get trich from oral sex?

Aghh Thankss!

Edit: I just wanted to add that I went to go look at my vulva and... there seems to be a lot of discharge around my vaginal opening. As for the smell... it seems to smell like how it always does... so I haven't noticed a change in my discharges smell...

Thanks again!

[ 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: justpeachy ]

justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Today I went out and got the vaginal discharge test that Vagisil makes... and I figured, "Great! I can use it to test if I have a yeast infection or something more, right when I get home!"

But as I read the instructions.. it says that you should do the test at least 5 days AFTER your period (and I am just getting off of mine) and that you also need to have gone 72 hours with out any internal suppositories for a vaginal yeast infection (and last night I used so Vagisil on the outside of my inner lips because I wanted to soothe them a bit... and maybe lessen the itchiness.)

Anyways, now I don't know what I should do!! because either way I have to wait at least 5 days AND go without any kind of relief for the itchiness....

So I have to wait to take the vaginal discharge test.. and I can't use any type of cream to relieve any itchiness...

what should I do?? I am pretty sure I have a yeast infection though because I looked inside my vagina today, and discharge seems to be collecting inside, and sticking to the sides of my inner lips... and the discharge doesn't smell fishy.. it is pretty normal.

Also, this test that I am going to take at home... it measures the level of your pH in your vagina.. so if it is 4.5 it is usually a yeast infection.. but if it is anything higher than that.. then you probably have something more that just a yeast infection..

Any assistance would be great.. and thank you again! you all always help so much!! Thank you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.