Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Withdrawal bleed..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Withdrawal bleed..
throughbeingcool
Neophyte
Member # 37304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for throughbeingcool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have sex a day or two before the withdrawal bleed is due, and the withdrawal bleed comes, can you be sure there is no pregnancy? Or does the fact that you had sex so close(a day or two before) to the withdrawal bleed change that?

Gracias.

Posts: 8 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diamonds4lucy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamonds4lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, throughbeingcool.

The term "withdrawl bleed" refers to the bleeding that occurs when stopping hormonal birth control (for example, the placebo pills in birth control pills cause a withdrawl bleed).

If a woman is taking hormonal birth control correctly, she is protected from pregnancy at any time.

If you meant a menstrual period: you cannot have a regular period and be pregnant.

Hope this has helped!

--------------------
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams.

Help Support Scarleteen!

Posts: 446 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
throughbeingcool
Neophyte
Member # 37304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for throughbeingcool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response. I know what a withdrawal bleed is and how birth control works. I was wondering that if there was somehow a failure in the birth control (missing/late pills), could the withdrawal bleed be used to indicate that there is no pregnancy, regardless of how soon after the risk occurred?

For example: if the risk occurred on Wednesday, and the bleed comes on Friday, can you be sure there is no pregnancy?

Posts: 8 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can be pretty darn sure.

While pregnancy takes more than a couple of days to complete, it being able to complete once a period has begun would be pretty darn tricky, since the lining an egg needs to implant in is out the door. Make sense?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
throughbeingcool
Neophyte
Member # 37304

Haha, yeah that makes sense.

I'm assuming the word 'period' in your reply is interchangeable with 'withdrawal bleed'? Right?

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Either way, you're shedding endometrial lining.

Understand, too, that why periods tend to be lighter with OCPs is that one of the ways it works is to keep that lining pretty thin in the first place. So, if the other two ways the pill works failed -- if it didn't suppress ovulation and didn't thicken mucus -- you'd have one more mode of protection even during the other time in your cycle since that lining should be too thin for implantation anyway.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
throughbeingcool
Neophyte
Member # 37304

I actually didn't know that. It is very reassuring. Are you saying that it stays that thin, even with a missed/late? Or did I mis-read?

To clarify, it's not my cycle - it's hers. No biggie, though.

One last question, since we both seem to be online at the same time: is there any need to worry about the sperm surviving in there until after the bleed? Or would they get flushed out with the lining?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, if someone takes pills late all the time and is missing them, any one or all of those modes of operation may not work. So, that's about how many missed pills we're talking about, and when and if they were made up for.

The sperm during a bleed are likely to get flushed out, yes. But even if they did not, they can only live in the vagina for a handful of days, and an egg isn't likely to be released within that period of time.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

throughbeingcool
Neophyte
Member # 37304

So her withdrawal bleed came on Friday night, like it was supposed to.

However, it is a bit lighter than usual. This is about her 5th or 6th month on the pill. Is this anything to be concerned about?

She is on loestrin 24 fe, if that matters.

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the ways the pill works is to limit the amount of lining that is being built up. The less lining to begin with, the lighter the withdrawal bleed. So it sounds completely normal. [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.