Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » please help me stop being such a worry wort

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please help me stop being such a worry wort
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of days ago, I posted that I had seen what looked like my pill in my perfectly normal, non-diahrreal stool. It might also have been a corn kernel, since I ate some corn 2 days before, but does it really take that long for corn to go through my system?

Anyway, I called up my doctor, and she laughed and told me it was very. very improbable that that had been my pill in my stool.

But since I'm kind of obsessive I'm still a little worried. So. Could you please explain how the body breaks down the pill and absorbs the hormones? And why is it that sometimes it won't break down something at all (like a corn kernel)? Lastly, how likely is it that a pill would go straight through my system if I ate lunch 10 minutes after taking it and didn't have diarrhea? (Although I am prone to gassiness...is that a problem?)

[ 04-18-2008, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: iamfree ]

Posts: 149 | From: Costa Rica | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corn is actually a vegetable and grain that we human s actually don't really digest, period.

Your pills, on the other hand, are very specifically designed to be digested fully and easily.

Unless you have a disorder like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, your pill winding up through your body that quickly just ain't a'gonna happen, I assure you.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67084 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I'd have diarrhea, right?

Basically, I usually have very normal bowel movements, also I'm prone to gasiness. But is that a symptom of something like IBS?

Posts: 149 | From: Costa Rica | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IBS results in a kind of diarrhea that tends to be tough to control is very, very watery and loose, and literally often is described as exploding from the body. if you had IBS, you'd know something was wrong, even if you didn't know it was called that.

Getting gas, and having raw corn be undigested are both normal for people. Not symptoms of IBS.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67084 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Thank you!
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Oh, one more thing.

Could lactose intolerance make it harder for my body to digest my pill?

I ask because my dad is lactose intolerant, and I'm wondering if I might have inherited it. He says it doesn't give him diarrhea or anything, it just makes him gassy.

Heather
Member # 3

Some pills have lactose, but it's in such trace amounts, it really should not be an issue. If you have those concerns, though, that's something to talk to your healthcare provider about. They should have a medical history for you before prescribing anyway, which includes a family history.

But that may well be your issue with gas. It does tend to run in families and be more common in certain groups.

One last thing? If you're this prone to worry, it's SO easy for any male partner to just help you and do his part by backing up with a condom. As well, given all of these concerns, this would be easy to talk to your doctor about to be sure the pill is right for you, not just physically, but per what you feel safest with. It may be that you feel emotionally better, say, with something like a Depo injection or an implant.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.