Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » the pill and pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the pill and pregnancy
anonymous artist
Neophyte
Member # 38021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous artist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last month I got my period on time. I haven't been sexually active this month, but I got breakthrough bleeding 2 weeks before I am suppose to get my period. I taking the birth control pill so I know that when I get my period it's not a real menstrual cycle so could I be pregnant?
Posts: 2 | From: illinois | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long have you been on the pill? If this is within your first three months, breakthrough bleeding is especially common, as your body is starting to get used to the hormones. You can also experience spotting at any time in your cycle, regardless of how long you've been on it. (It shouldn't be a common thing, but if it only happens once in a great while, then it's fine) If you haven't had a pregnancy risk since before you last got your period, then you can rest assured you are not pregnant. You can't have a period and maintain a pregnancy.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous artist
Neophyte
Member # 38021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous artist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been taking the pill for about 6 months. I'm still a little worried about it though because I've heard that some girls think they have their when it's breakthrough bleeding. So should I still be worried?
Posts: 2 | From: illinois | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. If you want, you can take a pregnancy test now, to help ease your mind. But really, break through bleeding isn't all that uncommon while on hormonal BC.

If your last risk was before your last withdrawal bleed, then you really have nothing to worry about.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.