Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Worried and Scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worried and Scared
Aeop
Neophyte
Member # 36199

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Aeop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period is a pretty random one, and is usually never on time so i never know what date its supposed to be around. But when it happens i have the usual blood flow and its pretty normal..

I had my last period on 11/18 (thanksgiving week..yay... [Frown] ) and am expecting my period to come soon but it hasent.. Recently (the past week or so) i have been having a brown period? but its not heavy at all, its pretty light. at first i thought it was spotting but it has continued for this whole week and is a regular flow of ..brown..

Is this my period? Is that even possible? hehe

My boyfriend had fingered me a two weeks ago so at first i thought it was a STI or pregnancy somehow.. But i went to the doctor and got a urine test and everything was fine and i was not pregnant..

I have changed my diet the last two weeks and lost 6 lbs.. (yay) and have been pretty stressed out..

I was just wondering what is going on and is there any way I am pregnant? I always jump to the worst conclusions...

Any help is appreciated.. These forums really help me alot!!!
Thank you so much

Posts: 3 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you fill me in a little bit more on your periods? How many years have you been menstruating for, and how long, in general, goes by between periods?

You say you've been dieting: do you often diet? Are you underweight?

(FYI, this sounds to me like a period: sometimes they're like this. And pregnancy from manual sex is highly unlikely. I'm just checking in to see what might be going on with your periods.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeop
Neophyte
Member # 36199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aeop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im 17, and I have had my periods since i was about 12 (6th grade)? I was one of the early kids.. In general it can range between 1 to 2 months or so, (30 to 40 days) Im very irregular but it's starting to get more regular.. When i was younger it would be like 3 or 4 months [Smile]

I dont often diet, only the past three weeks or so I have been. And I don't think im underweight, I am 6'7 and weigh 130lbs, which is pretty normal i think.

I haven't been getting cramps with this period(?), so thats why it's been throwing me off so much..

Posts: 3 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm going to presume you mean 5'7. [Smile] )

At this point, your periods really should be regular, more regular than that, and a 40 day cycle is pretty unusual, particularly in someone so young (and thus, you shouldn't be having to worry like this). So, what I'd suggest is that if you haven't yet started seeing an OB/GYN once a year -- which every menstruating woman should, but once you become sexually active, it's beyond essential -- and ask about this, okay?

P.S. 130 pounds at 5'7 is absolutely normal, to the point that you really likely shouldn't be dieting. Diets are so rarely healthy for young people period, but when you're already at a healthy or below-average weight -- which you are for your height -- you want to just be sure you're eating healthfully and eating plenty of calories, not limiting them.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeop
Neophyte
Member # 36199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aeop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes hehe sorry I meant 5'7.. My laptop keyboard is crazy [Smile]

So this is just a strange period?

And thank you for all your help.. I have been very worried [Frown]

Heather
Member # 3

Possibly, yeah.

Like I said, though, I'd have a doctor look into this, and your period issues in general. At this point, we'd generally expect your periods to be regular by now, so since they're not, it's wise to look into why. Some reasons can be because of low weight or not eating enough, thyroid problems, hormonal imbalances, etc. But since some of those things are health conditions that will need to be treated or corrected (though pretty much all causes are nothing to lose sleep over) -- and which menstrual issues can just be a symptom of -- you'll want to check in. Obviously, too, if something like this is found to be the problem, that can also mean the end of your period worries and irregular cycles, too. [Smile]

[ 12-21-2007, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.