Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Odd pain during sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Odd pain during sex
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an 18-year-old biological female and have been sexually active with my boyfriend for about a month. Both of us have had previous sexual partners, though neither of us are terribly experiened in the ways of heterosexual vaginal incourse.

Sex with him for a while was great. Then I started my period. Since he wasn't grossed out by the idea of having sex while I was menstruating, we had sex several time during my period, which, despite several stained towels, was no big deal and just as pleasurable for me as it had been when I wasn't on my period. However, towards the end of my period, my vagina and the surrounding area got extremely itchy. I'm horrible at not scratching things that itch...so I scratched. Understandably, after that, sex was too uncomfortable for me to deal with.

The thing that I'm most concered with now, though, is that as far as I can tell, the rawness from my scratching has healed (it's been a couple days since the itching has stopped...or at least stopped enough so that I'm not scratching anymore), but sex is still painful if my boyfriend penetrates me more than halfway or so. I know that the penis hitting the cervix can be painful, but before this itch ordeal, my boyfriend has been able to penetrate me deeply in ever position but doggy style without it being painful for me. Now it doesn't seem to matter what position we're in (and we've tried several); if his penis is more than halfway inside my vagina, I feel quite a lot of pain. We're both getting extremely frustrated (me moreso than him, actually).

Firstly, do you have any idea what could have cause so much itchiness? I use tampons during my period, which I know can dry things out. Could that have been a factor? We also use latex condoms and considerable amounts of water-based (Astroglide) lube. Could I have an allergy to one of those that just hasn't appeared until now?

Secondly, what could be causing this strange pain that I haven't felt until recently? We always use generous amounts of lube and engage in a good amount of foreplay before sex, so lubrication and arousal don't seem to be the issues. Is it related to the itchiness and the scratching? Should I be concerned and make an immdiate appointment with a doctor? Should I wait a few more days and see what happens?

Any and all answers would be much appreciated.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassieopiea
Neophyte
Member # 35770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassieopiea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A yeast infection is the only thing that I can think of that might cause that severe itching. There are creams and oral medications for that available at most drugstores.

If the tampons drying you out becomes a problem, products such as silicone cups (the DivaCup is one brand) work very well as alternatives. They present no TSS risk, don't dry you out, and are a lot better for the environment. In addition, you can leave them in for up to twelve hours.

If you're having an allergic reaction to the latex condoms, there are non-latex brands available. You could try using a different brand condom, and a different lube, to see if that helps any.

If the pain continues, there could be a more serious problem such as endometriosis, or an infection. I would schedule an appointment if the pain continues.

--------------------
Where did you leave your baby bleeding in her bed? Her ghost has come to stay.. Oh, you can try, you can't chase her away

Posts: 17 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Again, Cassieopiea, this area is for staff and volunteer responses only. This is your third warning.]

While those are all possible causes of your itching, one very important thing you need to consider is the possibility of an STI. Have you and your partner both been tested?

[ 11-13-2007, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we both have been tested (before we started having sex with each other) and both our tests showed that we were clean. We're planning to continue using condoms, however, until we've both had a second test that shows all is well in a few months. (Actually, even after that, I may still insist that we continue using condoms. Even though I'm on the pill, I'm extremely paranoid about getting pregnant, and he doesn't want to deal with an unwanted pregnancy either.) So while it's not impossible that it could be an STI, it seems unlikely.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anythingusay
Neophyte
Member # 35693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anythingusay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I would reemphasize your suggestion about continuing to use condoms and to continue testing for an additional three months before you feel safe enough to have sex without a condom.

Never put your head on a brick for anyone. You've only one life to live.

Posts: 6 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[For about the fourth or fifth time now, anythingusay, please do not post in staff only areas.]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Update: My boyfriend and I decided to just lay off trying to have vaginal intercourse for a few days, and last night we tried again. Everything seems to be fine and dandy now. I didn't feel any pain, and my itching seems to have disappeared.

To be on the safe side, I'm going to make an appointment with my gyno. for when I go to visit my family over Thanksgiving (I haven't yet gotten one in SF). I'm about due for a check-up anyway, so this way, I can kill two birds with one stone.

--------------------
-Oscar Wilde

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.