Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Allergic to sperm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Allergic to sperm?
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there!

A question. I've only had one partner, so I don't have a point of comparison.. But, recently, my boyfriend and I have had protected (and by that, I mean I'm on the pill) sex, without condoms. Only three or four times have I allowed him to you know..come..in me. And the weird thing is, it burns me! I can't figure out why this is.
I understand a couple of times, there was a lot of friction and I was not very lubricated, but the other times, I was completely lubricated and there was no pain of friction.. Am I allergic to his sperm?
I would think if I was allergic, when his sperm gets onto other parts of my body, I would have a tiny rash or some redness, but that's never happened. Or when I actually ingest it, I would have some small reaction, but that's never happened.
So, do you think I'm allergic (and if so, how would I actually go about finding that out? It's quite awkward.) and do you know what treats that kind of allergy? Will I just never be able to have him come inside of me...ever? What if one day I want children?
Or is this just the friction of sex, and the inside of me is just sort of rubbed raw from vigorous action?
(Also, we ruled out STDs, as we both got tested a couple months ago.)

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the easiest way to find this out would be to use a condom next time, with lubricant, and see if you have the same burning sensation.

Semen (not sperm: there's no such thing as a sperm allergy that I know of) allergies can't be treated: if and when someone has them, they simply need to avoid exposure to semen as much as possible. But those allergies are rare, and I'd not leap to that so soon, especially if you haven't seen what happens when you have sex without exposure to his fluids.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that's the thing, I've only been using condoms with lubrication, and had no problem, EXCEPT for the times I'm really dry and the friction really hurts.
So I do know what happens when I have sex without exposure to his fluids. We've been active for a few months, only in these past months have we tried without condoms, and it burns. But if I was allergic to semen, I would imagine it would burn when I get in ANYwhere on my skin, not just vaginally. Am I on the right track with that guess?

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not really, because genital tissue is WAY more sensitive than other kids of tissue, like on your hands.

So, if the burning you are feeling when condoms aren't being used is different from how you feel when you're not using extra lube as needed or not aroused enough, I'd say it might be that you have a semen allergy or sensitivity.

Just making sure though: when you are having sex without condoms and this is happening, you've also been very aroused and using extra lube?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, for about 90% of the time, when we have sex without condoms, I've been aroused or used extra lube. The 10% is when I'm sort of dehydrated from a few drinks or just woke up and we go at it.

Unfortunately, I thinking it might be an allergy/sensitivity. Which sucks. I'm going to experiment once more, but ask the boyfriend to drink plenty of water before we have sex, in order to dilute the semen a little bit. Maybe that'll make things less burn-y for me.

Thank you for the help tho!

Heather
Member # 3

I don't think him drinking water will make any difference at all if you have an allergy. I've never read anything to suggest drinking water will "dilute" semen and make someone allergic less so.

Is that something you read somewhere sound? If so, I'd be happy to give it a second look.

I'd instead advise you just go and see a sexual healthcare doctor and talk about this. I think that's much more likely to be productive.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

"If you have a true semen allergy, having your partner drink plenty of water before and during sex can reduce the acidity of his semen, which may make it less irritating."

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/burning-after-sex-without-condom

I thought Alice was a pretty reliable source, but I could be wrong..

I'm a little afraid to talk to a sexual healthcare doctor, so perhaps I'll just deal with it or find another alternative (like condoms or pulling out) for a while..

Heather
Member # 3

They are, so I'd not write that off. It's just not something I've heard before. You know, though, let me toss an email tomorrow to a urologist I know in the field and see if that's something he thinks golds water (as it were).

Ultimately, though, if you have an allergy, your best bet is simply going to be to avoid semen as much as possible, so unless you are trying to conceive, I'd suggest using condoms. If you find that pre-ejaculate isn't an issue, so withdrawing works too, there you go.

However, I'd also talk with a doctor. You said you were tested for STIs a couple months ago: did you like the doctor or clinician you saw for that care? If so, you can likely see that same person. If this wasn't happening a few months ago, it might also be wise to have another set of tests done now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Ok, please let me know what they say!

This did happen way before we were tested, when a condom broke, and I thought it might've been because an STD, but since then, it still burned after we came out clean, so I ruled it out.

I didn't like the place I went to get tested AT ALL. I only went because it was a free clinic, and they were confidential, so my parents wouldn't know. But man. They were very judgmental and made me feel like a bad person for even coming in and getting tested. When I told them I only had one partner, they applauded me for doing "a better job than most of the girls they see here."

So I decided that place was a one time thing until I could find the courage to go to another clinic. I don't know when that'll be.

Heather
Member # 3

Oh, UGH, that sounds like an awful clinical experience. I'm so sorry.

If you'd like help finding alternatives for the future, for this issue or your regular sexual healthcare, let us know, we're glad to help users with that anytime.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.