Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » A little confused.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little confused.
japanlover
Neophyte
Member # 35280

Icon 9 posted      Profile for japanlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I'm really, really thankful for this website. Reading through even just a few of the articles made me feel a lot more comfortable with a few personal issues.

But before I ramble, I need to go ahead and let out my question.

I've developed feelings-- very intense ones, at that-- for one of my best friends.
Allow me to rephrase-- one of my best female friends. She knows that I like her, and she's stated an interest in me as well, but she has a boyfriend, and, naturally, she can't just up and dump him for someone else-- it would be hurtful, and neither of us ever want to do something that would hurt somebody on such a deep emotional level, like that. It's been four months since things started, and four months that I've been upset and lonely because she can't be mine. The longer I go on feeling so empty, the more I want to just give up on my feelings for her, but I feel like I won't be able to give up, because my feelings are so strong.

I'd really, really appreciate some advice on the matter, more than anyone could ever know. I've spent too many nights trying to figure it out by myself, and I think it's time to look for some outside help.

Many thanks for reading this.

Posts: 1 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, more than once in life (often far more than once) we're all going to have to deal with not having romantic feelings returned. And if something isn't happening with someone and we just wallow in it endlessly...well, UGH.

Sounds like you two need to make a decision here. if she's committed to her current partner, then y'all need to just put the red light on this, period. Not doing so is just going to keep you feeling crummy, and being on someone's waiting list is always a recipe for feeling like hell.

And deciding that isn't "giving up." There's no battle here: you have feelings for someone who isn't emotionally avoilable right now. You can't make her be so, nor is your waiting around likely to influence that in any way.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.