Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pill and condom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pill and condom
nick_x
Neophyte
Member # 34503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nick_x     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
assuming a girl is on the pill and a condom is used correctly every time does having sex everyday increase your chance to get pregnant significantly? or is it still near zero?
Posts: 25 | From: florida | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the woman is taking the pill correctly and the condom is being used correctly each time, it doesn't matter how many times a day, week, or month that you have sex.
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nick_x
Neophyte
Member # 34503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nick_x     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to bump this up with more information I found...I did not see anywhere on scarleteen that addressed this issue. Anyways, I was reading on this site by the university of california santa barbara. They said that the statistics surrounding the efficacy of contraceptives is based on an assumption of 150 sex acts.

LINK

A quote to highlight is "Using math magic, we find that if you combine the failure rates of both a male condom and the birth control pill you get a failure rate of about 0.006%, if both people follow instructions perfectly. The combined typical user rate of a condom and pills is 1.2%, meaning that out of every 1000 women only 12 of them will get pregnant under typical user conditions."

My question is, does this statistic of efficiency change when more than 150 sex acts in a year are performed? Would 300 double the chance of failure while 600 quadrupled the chance of failure?? Or does it increase exponentially where 300 sex acts would increase the chance by 5 times? iv'e been having sex basically everyday with pills and condoms used, so I was wondering how it would effect the efficiency since the statistics are made with an assumption of 150 sex acts. Would 365 quadruple the chances? or only approximately double..

Posts: 25 | From: florida | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nick_x
Neophyte
Member # 34503

Did this post get forgotten, or am is it closed and i should start a new thread?
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry this got overlooked, nick_x.

To be honest, I've never seen those statistics, ever, anywhere. Nor have I ever heard of the assumed 150 sex acts rule.

To be perfectly honest, Erin's answer still stands. You could have sex every day for 5 years on the birth control pill, and chances are if you're using it correctly, you're not going to get pregnant. How many times you have sex in a given period of being on the pill does not affect it's effectiveness.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about if you taking hormonal birth control correctly AND using condoms. Nada.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.