Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » is it possible to get pregnant if...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is it possible to get pregnant if...
skit
Neophyte
Member # 33348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was wondering if is it possible to get pregnant if fresh ejaculate was inserted into the vagina and the girl was in near her ovulating preiod?(13th of her 28th day cycle)
Posts: 5 | From: here | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If no form of contraception is used and there is unprotected vaginal intercourse including ejaculation into the vaginal or on the vaginal area, then you have a HIGH to VERY HIGH risk of pregnancy as well as the risk of transmitting or contracting a sexually transmitted infection.

Has this happened to you within the last 72 hours? If so, see your health care provider as soon as possible for a pregnancy test/Morning After Pill and an STI screening.

For more on emergency contraception, check out our article Emergency Contraception, to find out more about how to obtain EC go to http://ec.princeton.edu/get-ec-now.html

--------------------
caro

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skit
Neophyte
Member # 33348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No contraception was used and the semen was accidentally inserted by fingers. Wouldn't the semen have died with exposure to air?

[ 04-07-2007, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: skit ]

Posts: 5 | From: here | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I misunderstood you here. You were talking about manual sex, i.e. someone had ejaculate on their hands and then touched female genitals/inserted fingers?

From our Risk Checklist:

quote:
If your fingers or hands came into contact with pre-ejaculate (pre-cum) or semen (ejaculate, "cum"), either your own or your partner's, did you touch your female partner's genitals or insert your finger(s) into her vagina (or touch your own genitals/insert your finger(s) into your vagina if you are female) while there was still pre-ejaculate or semen on your fingers or hands?

If YES, then you have a LOW risk of pregnancy. See your health care provider for a pregnancy test and an STD screening.

Sperm do not immediately die when exposed to air; they can stay pretty active and well for half an hour or so before drying out.

--------------------
caro

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skit
Neophyte
Member # 33348

Sorry to confuse you. At first, we did have unprotected penis-in-vagina intercourse but he didn't ejaculate inside. After withdrawing he immediately ejaculated and I somehow touched it. Some of the fresh ejaculate was probably still in my hands and i fingered myself accidentally. I realized it when it was too late and i just realized now that i was near my ovulating period that day. Is it still a low risk of pregnancy? Do i need to stop worrying since there is really a slim chance of my getting pregnant?
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unprotected vaginal intercourse, even WITHOUT ejaculation, still presents a pregnancy risk. I would look into getting EC, as alaska mentioned in her original response.

(Not to mention the STD risk, as well- are you both up to date on your STD screenings?)

[ 04-07-2007, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skit
Neophyte
Member # 33348

Ok. Thanks..um but i do have another question.. How soon can I get a pregnancy test and would this be accurate? This happened last tuesday so i guess it is past the 72-hour time period.
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Actually, it's still worth giving Emergency Contraception a go, Skit even if this happened on Tuesday, as unprotected vaginal intercourse without ejaculation inside the vagina carries a moderate pregnancy risk, btw.

In my original reply, I wasn't spot on as to the time-frame for EC use (many sorrys for that!): While it is best to use it as quickly as possible, EC can still significantly reduce your pregnancy risk when used up to 120 hours after an incident.

[ 04-07-2007, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: alaska ]

--------------------
caro

skit
Neophyte
Member # 33348

ok. Thanks [Smile]
Amanda24007
Neophyte
Member # 31901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda24007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would try to get EC pills, especially since you were about to ovulate.

Edit: Oh sorry, I didn't see this was in the expert forum.

[ 04-07-2007, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Amanda24007 ]

Posts: 23 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.