Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help please
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss_Mary-Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay so me and my boyfriend are having sex, we use a condom, spermacide and the pulling out method.....are we safe without BC??

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

Posts: 44 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms and spermicdes ARE methods of birth control or BC.

And FYI, not only do you not need to withdraw when using a condom, racing can do that can easily result in spacing out holding the base during withdrawal and cause a condom failure. You might also want to reconsider using spermicides, since they can potentially increase STI risks.

Condoms, used properly -- WITH plenty of EXTRA latex-safe lubricant, for ALL genital contact, from start-to-finish, and put on properly -- really are remarkably effective. Most of the time when condoms fail, it is overwhelmingly just because they weren't used properly or weren't used at all.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss_Mary-Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so whats the risk of me getting pregnant?

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

Posts: 44 | From: Missouri | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A condom used correctly for all contact, with no problems experienced, is virtually 100% protection.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

"You might also want to reconsider using spermicides, since they can potentially increase STI risks."

what did you mean when saying that?

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

CondomMan
Activist
Member # 32823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CondomMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edited -- as you have been warned before, this area is for staff replies only. Continuing to disregard the guidelines will result in the removal of your posting privileges.

[ 04-06-2007, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Condoms Rock!

Posts: 52 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

whats an STI?

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STI stands for sexually transmitted infection. It includes a range of infections and diseases that are spread through unprotected sex; HIV/AIDS is the one you see most often in the media, though it's not nearly the only one nor the most common.

I'm going to link you to a few articles here at ST, since it seems you could use a sexual health primer. Please holler back if you have any more questions afterward; that's what we're here for! [Smile]

Sex readiness checklist
Safer sex
Scarleteen Infection Section

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

okay so just to sum things all up, because I'm really freaked out...useing all them types or BC, I should be fine?...my B/F's kinda getting a little annoyed because I keep on saying "what if I'm pregnant"....I'm just trying to be safe.

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

You can bookmark this page, then, for future reference:

http://www.scarleteen.com/reproduction/preg_risk_piv.html

According to that chart, using a backup method in addition to correct condom use presents no chance of pregnancy. [Smile]

Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

okay so I have another question

after having sex I bled a little bit for about a day, I mean it wasn't really bad bleeding but there was blood, I know he didn't pop my cherry b/c this wasn't the first time we had sex...do you know what it could be?

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an FYI, Mary-Ann, there is no "cherry" nor anything to be popped in the vagina - the hymen, which doesn't even resemble fruit, can sometimes experience tearing or strecthing during intercourse, but it usually isn't the most common cause of bleeding during intercourse.

More than likely, especially if you were using spermacide which can be really harsh on vaginal tissue, and not using extra lubrication to boot, you probably received some small abriasions in your vaginal wall because of friction.

To avoid this in the future, just be sure you're fully aroused, fully relaxed, and using lots of extra condom-safe lubricant for intercourse.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

so I really don't have need to worry?

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per pregnancy? No, and do be sure to bookmark that page Lauren linked you if you ever need to look back on it!

Per the bleeding? No need to worry there, either. Ideally, you can avoid bleeding like I exaplined, but bleeding after sex is usually no sign of anything serious unless you experience a LOT of bleeding, pain, painful cramps, or bleeding that's more than just spotting/scant lasting more than a day (and you're sure it's not your period).

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Mary-Ann
Activist
Member # 33343

thanks so much...I'll be back if I have any other quetions [Smile]

--------------------
~Mary-Ann~

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.