Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » understanding results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: understanding results
Beach Girl
Neophyte
Member # 32103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beach Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had a full STI screening, and I am having some trouble understanding the results of the Bacterial Vaginosis & Yeast Screen.

It says there was no yeast seen and smear not suggestive of bacterial vaginosis, but there was a bunch of other info that I don't understand: 1+ (rare) Polymorphs, 2+ Mononucleated white blood cells, 3+ Epithelial cells, 4+ Large gram positive bacilli suggestive of Lactobacillus species, 1+ (rare) Gram variable bacilli suggestive of Gardnerella vaginalis.

They told me they would call if anything was wrong, and they haven't called, but I am wondering if anything there is something I should be concerned about or if I should book another appointment to talk about the results.

Posts: 10 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is way out of my league here, and I don't think we have anyone on staff or in the volunteers who has ever worked as a lab technician.

Understand that it is normal for the vagina to have these flora: bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections are about imbalances of them, not about their presence.

But the golden rule is just to ask about your results, and to call in if you're curious. However, if your doctor told you all was well and there was no cause for concern, there's no reason to assume you have something to worry about.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stupid_Girl
Neophyte
Member # 32598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stupid_Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I shouldn't be writing here...but if this isn't helpful feel free to delete.

I wouldn't be worried. Polymorphs are a term for white blood cells that have nuclei (I think usually more than one) that can come in different shapes. Mono-nucleated white blood cells...pretty self explanatory. White cells occur naturally in the vagina to fight off infection or foreign invaders, A high white blood cell count would be cause for concern, but would be obviously apparent in the screening. Epithelial cells--just skin cells contaminating the test. Lactobacillus occurs naturally in the vagina, and is also found in yogurt, which is why you eat yogurt as a probiotic to replenish natural flora. Gardnerella vaginalis is what causes bacterial vaginosis but can occur naturally without the infection. The Gram-positive part is just a simple differentiation of weird chemical properties to classify bacteria and are not of concern. [Smile] hope that helped clear your mind some

Posts: 10 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(This forum is for staff and volunteer replies ONLY, as clearly stated at the top. Nobody here is a medical doctor with the ability to interpret test results through the Internet. Please stick to the main forums, where all users can give input. Thanks.)

[ 02-06-2007, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a microlab tech, but I am handy for interpreting test results. I do it all the time at work. Just an FYI if it comes up again. S_G's info is correct, so I won't tamper with it. But S_G just needs to mind the rules in the future.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.