Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Best friend not using condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best friend not using condoms
Moneasha113
Neophyte
Member # 73641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moneasha113     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend/roommate is in her first sexual relationship (we are in college). Her boyfriend has had several sexual partners. She recently told me that he convinced her to stop using condoms after she had been on the pill for a month, because he does not like them, even though she does. She did some "research" online and said that because she uses the pill and he pulls out every time, there is practically no chance of pregnancy. I am super worried about her, not online because of the pregnancy risk but because he has cheated on her before and there is a risk for stds. I know it her body and her choice, but is she really as safe as she says she is? What kind of risks is she taking?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, she's taking high risks of STIs. If they use both a combined birth control pill and withdrawal properly, then her risks of pregnancy are very low.

Of course, I'd also say that she's taking a risk of a sexual relationship where what both people want and feel comfortable with isn't being made as important as it is. In other words, she's risking -- if not already in -- a sexual relationship or interaction where she's deciding to care less about her life and health than about what her boyfriend wants, and for something as easy for him to use as a condom. And that's never a good thing.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.