Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the pill
mistychick99
Neophyte
Member # 31666

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mistychick99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have just visited my doctor about regulating my periods and i have been put on birth control. I also have a b/f and concidering having sex. how long do i have to be on the pill before i should have sex to be safe??
Posts: 29 | From: canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We suggest using the pill for at least one full cycle before relying on it alone for birth control.

Keep in mind that the birth control pill does not protect against STIs, and you and your partner should be tested before sex condom-free.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recomend waiting one full cycle before you rely on the pill to be effective for preventing pregnancy. As long as you're taking your pills correctly after that, you can consider yourself protected.

Don't forget, however, that the pill does not protect against STIs, and unless you and your boyfriend have both received full STI screenings (preferrably two full screenings, 6 months apart), you should still use condoms for STI prevention. Condoms also add extra pregnancy protection, if you'd like to double-up methods, as well.

(Mindmeld!)

[ 12-02-2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistychick99
Neophyte
Member # 31666

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mistychick99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i heard that you only have to wait 2 weeks for being on it with a condom aswell? so its better to wait a full cyle?

[ 12-03-2006, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: mistychick99 ]

Posts: 29 | From: canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.