Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question
kt2b7
Activist
Member # 29654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kt2b7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last 2 period's have only lasted 3 days, if that. Me and my boyfriend had sex yesterday evening and he cum in me twice. (My period ended on Sunday and we had sex Monday evening) What are the chances of me getting pregnant from yesterday evening?

1 last question to this post. Is it possible to have a period and be pregnant? Well, I guess it wouldn't exactly be a period. But something light and lasting a couple days...

Posts: 42 | From: Somewhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You had unprotected sex. Therefore, you have a high risk of pregnancy.

And unless you chart your fertility (knowing when your last period alone only helps a little, since everyone is a bit different: but the first half of the cycle is generally, for most women, the riskier time), we can't say much more than that.

If you do not want to become pregnant, we'd suggest you obtain emergency contraception and -- obviously - start using a reliable method of birth control.

Per if you can be pregnant and have some spotting, yes. If you've had risks before this, and your periods haven't seemed like periods, have you yet taken a pregnancy test? if not, I'd suggest it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kt2b7
Activist
Member # 29654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kt2b7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last 3 times we have had sex we didn't use a condom. But only the 2 first times it was precum and he pulled out. But yesterday evening he didn't pull out at all and cum in me twice. But I figured since I just got off my period it was less likely to happen?

[ 11-28-2006, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: kt2b7 ]

Posts: 42 | From: Somewhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You figured incorrectly.

On average -- again, this may differ for you, you may ovulate earlier or later than this -- the majority of most women are most fertile between around day 11 and day 15. And sperm can live up to around five days inside the vagina and cervix.

So, if you were average, you can see that it could be quote the opposite of less likely.

Again, if you don't want to become pregnant, I'd advise getting EC tomorrow.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kt2b7
Activist
Member # 29654

Wow... So I was wrong I guess. I normally can tell when I ovulate. And usually around day 14. But I got my period last Thursday and it ended Sunday. So 3 days... And sperm would die on day 8... So yeah isn't that on the "very unlikely" side?
Heather
Member # 3

Do you chart your cervical mucus to tell? or by "tell" do you mean you just feel like you know?

If you chart, and that's how you know, and the last cycle you ovulated on day 14, then yes, the risk for this time would be moderate rather than high. But it's still there.

You don't wanna get pregnant, get EC.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kt2b7
Activist
Member # 29654

No, I don't chart it. I just know because I normally get all crampy and have a white discharge. I didn't have it this last period though, so I don't know when I ovulated. But normally when I get all crampy and have the white discharge, I know thats when I obvulate.
Heather
Member # 3

Ovulation actually doesn't produce a white discharge, but a very thin, tacky clear discharge.

Regardless, if you didn't chart last cycle or the couple before, then it's not sound to assume anything about when you will ovulate this cycle or be most fertile.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kt2b7
Activist
Member # 29654

So what do you think the risk is now then? Knowing my period lasted 3 days.. and sperm living up to 5 or 7 days... Is it possible to ovulate day 10?
Heather
Member # 3

Yes, it's possible. Some women do, others don't. And if your periods don't normally last just three days and aren't normally this light, and you've had the unprotected intercourse in the last month as it sounds like you have, I'd not even assume that was a period, and I'd take a pregnancy test.

No matter what, unprotected intercourse presents a moderate to high risk of pregnancy.

So, I'll say it one last time: I think your risk is high enough that if you do not wish to become pregnant, I'd suggest using emergency contraception, and, in the furture, a reliable method of birth control if you're going to have intercourse and don not wish to become pregnant and/or are not prepared to become pregnant.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kt2b7
Activist
Member # 29654

Well, thanks for your replies. I think I have furthered my education. I'll keep you posted on this matter if things take a turn.

As for emergency contraception... I don't really believe in it. I think it is just a way early abortion. Me and my boyfriend have talked about things before and both agreed that if it were to happen that I get pregnant that we wouldn't do anything to stop it.

He is actually wanting a baby. I would like one, but later on in life would be best. Which he agree's. But again, thanks for your help!

Heather
Member # 3

Just for your own reference, understand that EC works EXACTLY like the birth control pill: it does the exact same things and is the exact same kind of hormone. So, if you think that's a way early abortion too, okay, you do, but understand that abortion is, by defintion and practice, a procedure done to terminate a pregnancy. And EC can't do that: if a women is pregnant already, EC won't do a thing.

That said, if later in life is what works for you, then it sounds like you both really need to find a birth control method so that YOU get to decide that, not chance.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.