Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Interview for EC/ BC altering period/ period & sex.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interview for EC/ BC altering period/ period & sex.
mimosalady
Neophyte
Member # 30353

Icon 4 posted      Profile for mimosalady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I had sex for the first time last night. Well, it wasn't everything I expected to say the least. Call me naive...but I was/am on my period and my boyfriend assured me that you can't get pregnant whilst bleeding.

Well, well. Maybe he was just misinformed, but I found out that you can! He's been screened and no STI's...but I really need to get EC. I went to the health dept. today and I have to get an interview to see if I qualify for the drug. How could I NOT qualify, is what I'm wondering. Also, we fooled around earlier this month (no sex, just random fore-play...and I took a couple of BC afterwards, just to be "safe"((i'm a big worrier))...I think it's altered my period because it's really spotty and light...then it got heavier last night...now it's light again. What's up with that?)

And, no. I'm not on BC...I'm ashamed to say this, but it was my mom's. And I also know, eventually she'll see some is gone and I'll tell her something. I'm going to be put on BC though this month.

That's beside the point. (I know pulling out isn't adequate contraception, but he did. Just thought I would let you know) I just need to know 1) how i qualify for ec 2) is it the few bc i took (3-4) that is altering my cycle? 3) is my pregnancy risk substantial? 4) and EC..it lowers your chances by 80%, right?

Thanks for your time and patience.

[ 08-31-2006, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: mimosalady ]

Posts: 16 | From: state college | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) I'm assuming by 'qualifying' for EC, they must mean that your risk was significant enough for you to require it.

2) The few birth control pills you took is likely what is causing your period to be a little weird. Not only are you screwing w/ your cycle, you may be doing so unnecessarily. Not all birth control pills act as emergency contraception, when taken in this way.

3) According to our article here, you have a moderate pregnancy risk and should acquire EC. Being on your period does decrease your risk, so i would say your risk here would be low-moderate.

4) Yes, when taken within 72 hours, i believe EC is around 80% effective.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you need to tell your mother that you took some of her pills. It is important for a woman to take ALL of the pills in her pack (and it will likely cause her wonkiness especially if she is on a triphasic pill). You may have compromised HER protection (especially if say, she thinks that maybe she already took the missing pills and just forgot about them, and thus misses pills), so you need to let her know ASAP.

[ 08-31-2006, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimosalady
Neophyte
Member # 30353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mimosalady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so, for curiosity's sake...what will my pregnancy risk be after I take the EC?
Posts: 16 | From: state college | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way to give you an exact percentage, but EC lowers the risk substantially when taken less than 72 hours after a risk. Your risk after taking the EC will be low.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.