Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Why does widthdrawl bleed occur at different times?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why does widthdrawl bleed occur at different times?
sportchick
Activist
Member # 27063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently taking OTC, and my widthdrawl bleed comes on the Tuesday of my plecebo week, (approximately 3 plecebos in) Most cycles it will come in the afternoon, but last cycle, it started in the morning. Why is that? I take my pill at the same time every day, so why the difference of 8 hours or so? Is this normal? I prefer getting it in the morning, is there any way I can make this happen every cycle?

Thanks!

Posts: 72 | From: N.E | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking your pill correctly can help regulate your cycles, but it isn't ASSURED to, so that means minor iregularities are common when taking hormonal birth control (sort of like minor irregularities are common in women who aren't taking hormonal birth control and have regular cycles). So, an eight-hour difference doesn't signal that there's anything wrong whatsoever. Also, sorry to disappoint, but there's really no way to dictate when during the day or on which day exactly your withdrawl bleed will come.

[ 08-25-2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportchick
Activist
Member # 27063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, that makes sense. Also, I was looking at that link that you have to the PBS site on the difference between you cycles on and off the pill, and am I correct in believing that you don't produce an egg aka YOU DON"T OVULATE while on the pill? Thats how it works? So by taking the pill every day, I supress my ovulation, and then when I get my widthdrawl bleed, there is no "egg" in that? Sorry if this seems repetitive or confusing...I was a little uncertian, so I figured I'd ask the experts to get my facts straight! Thank you!
Posts: 72 | From: N.E | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. The pill works by suppressing ovulation and thickening cervical mucus - if you've been taking your pills correctly, you don't ovulate. No egg released means nothing for sperm to fertilize, and therefore no pregnancy occurs.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's correct, the hormones in the pill supress ovulation.

When you are not taking hormonal birth control, each monthly cycle your body will first produce hormones which cause an ovum (egg) to grow in your ovaries, then when the the egg is mature it is released. At this time, your body produces a hormone called progesterone which builds up the lining of the uterus to nourish a fertilized egg. If an egg is fertilized, the body produces more progesterone, if it is not? The level of progesterone drops and that triggers your body to flush out the uterine lining (and so you have your period) and the cycle starts again.

An artifical form of progesterone is one of the hormones used in hormonal birth control, and so the reason you have your withdrawl bleed during your placebo week of pills is because the drop in hormones when you take a break from taking your active pills triggers the same sort of progesterone drop that would normally trigger your body to shed the uterine lining.

That may have been more explaination than you needed, but does that all answer your questions? [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportchick
Activist
Member # 27063

no, thats great! thank you so much! now everything makes sense [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.