Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question
this is it dot com
Neophyte
Member # 20670

Icon 5 posted      Profile for this is it dot com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just stumbled across your website and I'm looking for a little advice, so here goes:

I'm a virgin and I'm 21. I've been with my current boyfriend (who's also a virgin) for quite a while now. I love him very very much and I completey trust him and I want my first time to be with him, and I know he feels the same way. We've had many serious talks about the subject - consequences, protection, etc, and I'm sure of my decision. The only problem is that it's easier to say than do. We've tried to have sex twice now and each time I get scared and tense and I have to ask him to stop. We're both completely frustrated. I'm frustrated because I don't know why I keep stopping myself when I know this is what I want to do. He's frustrated because I keep saying no. He says he doesn't want to even try anymore because 'I'm just teasing him' and it's too painful for him to get so close and then hear me say stop. I can't figure out how to get past this road block, and I don't know how to get him to believe this is what I want, especially because I can't guarantee that if we try again I won't say no. Any advice on how to figure out why I keep stopping myself, and (once I've got that part down) on how to convince him to try again?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly? It sounds like on some basic level, you don't want to have intercourse. You can be informed, have all the risk/consequence/safer sex stuff down pat, and still not be ready for intercourse, you know--whether it's in general or with this particular person.

Don't rush it, give it some more time; try to back off the idea of having intercourse for awhile. Chances are, now you've built it all up, and it's become a much bigger deal than it needs to be.

It's perfectly okay for your boyfriend to also decide that he doesn't want to have intercourse, but it's not okay for him to couch that in terms that make it Your Fault. It's not your intention to "tease him," and I would guess that he knows that. As for it being "too painful," vasocongestion--"blue balls"--never yet killed anyone, and there are plenty of other activities the two of you could engage in to dispel sexual tension. Intercourse is not the end all, be all.

So I think both of y'all's energy at this point is best spent backing off the intercourse issue. Give these articles a review, if you haven't already, too; they'll underscore a lot of what I've just said:

FBI Files: Blue Balls
Ready or Not? - The Readiness Checklist
Is that all there is? - A memoir of first time sex 17 years in the making

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"And when the answer that you want/Is in the question that you state/Come what may..." - Coheed and Cambria, "Blood Red Summer"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.