Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Teen Erectile Dysfunction ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teen Erectile Dysfunction ?
alktrio40502
Neophyte
Member # 19189

Icon 13 posted      Profile for alktrio40502     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I are 18 and have been together for three years and have been best friends before that. We are very comfortable together and I feel that we are exceptionally open and honest about sex and emotional issues. We were both virgins and just recently had sex for the first time and I have to say the three yaer build up probably wasn't the best idea as far as self-induced pressure goes. Being the girl I guess I didn't really feel as much pressure as he did because quite simply the anatomical reasons. However the first attempt was difficult due to the fact that he had difficulty getting completly hard or hard at all, anx when we have tried a second time the same problem occured. It is frustrating for the both of us and I just don't know how to help him. It is a crushing blow for his ego and he feels like he is the only teen guy int he world with this problem. He does suffer from diagnosed anxiety disorder and he panics when entering new situations. I jsut want to know how I can help him get through this I know its all in his head and its getting worse and worse each time he tries and "fails". It getting to the point where he doesn't even want to attempt any more due to embarassment and shame. Should he talk to his family care practicioner about sexual dysfunction issues or a therapist? Does this happen to other guys his age? Should we consider a prescription or supplement of some sort? Help!
Posts: 1 | From: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ED is almost ALWAYS psychological and emotional, not physical, especially in young men.

You've already said your partner has an axiety disorder, and combining that with the existing stresses and anxieties and pressures of partnered sex makes it no big shocker this is what's going on.

I'd suggest he talks to his existing therapist about the issue to determine what the best approach for him is. In the meantime, I'd suggest chilling out with sex that requires erection and doing things sexually without so much pressure involved to help him relax and let you both still enjoy yourselves.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.