Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Charting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Charting
bananasmoothie
Neophyte
Member # 12740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bananasmoothie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to have a backup method of birth control, but i don't want to mess about with my hormones. Somebody suggested to me that charting my menstrual cycle would tell me when i was most likely to get pregnant and vice versa.

I'm not sure when in the cycle you are most at risk of getting pregnant, and when in the cycle you're safest. My periods are very regular, so charting would proabably work for me.

Could you please tell me when in the cycle is the safest time and when is the most risky time.

Thanks

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Combinging charting with condom use is an excellent method, if your cycles have regulated, and you use it as so:

- during most fertile periods, abstain from procreative sex completely.
- during less or infertile times, use condoms for all genital contact.

In short, the only reliable way to chart is using a combination of tracking your cervical mucus and measuring your basal temperature daily. After a few months (and doing so continually) you'll likely be able to geta good bead on when you're most fertile.

We can't tell you what your safest and least safe times are because that varies from woman to woman. How you determine that for you is via the above methods, and there are books you can pick up to learn how to do so like Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health by Toni Weschler.

Charting can become a routine, but it's not the simplest thing there is, and there are other nonhormonal backup methods, like the diapragm or cervical cap available should it prove too taxing.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.