Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » wondering...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wondering...?
QuietOne109
Neophyte
Member # 7609

Icon 5 posted      Profile for QuietOne109     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and i have been going out for about 8months now and i've been holding off on sex and now i think i want to have sex with him...i wanna take birth control pills b/c i know they can't do any harm and they are 99% effective and i would make him use a condom so i should be pretty safe from disease and pregnancy right? my next problem is im only 16 and u have to be 18 to get the pills and my mom would never ever buy them so one of my friends is on the pill b/c her period is messed up and is heavy & last for like 2 weeks and she only uses it for that but she has used it to have sex so if i bought them from her it would be okay right? i just wanna know when i should take them to have sex..how many weeks b4 and how many weeks after b/c i dont want to stay on it just use it to have safe sex b/c my basic reason of not haven sex is b/c i dotn want disease(my partner and i have never had sex before )and im afraid of pregnancy...thanks
Posts: 22 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah there sweetie...sounds like you're more than a bit confused. Wanting to be safe is an excellent idea. However, buying birth control pills from someone else is a terrible idea.

First of all, you cannot start taking birth control pills without seeing a doctor for a full gyn exam. Birth control pills are not absolutely harmless, for some women they can be dangerous, and that's something only your doctor is going to be able to tell you. Secondly, the pill is not something you can just take when you want to have sex and it'll automatically protect you. Pills come in packs with the days of the week labeled for a reason...you have to take them correctly. That means that everyday you'll be taking a pill at the same time of the day. You have to be on them for at least one full cycle before they are effective. So you're not going to be able to buy pills from your friend. You would be putting yourself at risk potentially, and they would be completely ineffective, and your friend's cycle would be all messed up because she'd be missing pills. So once again, buying these pills is not an option.

By the way, there is no age requirement for obtaining birth control pills without parental permission. Why don't you try contacting your local Planned Parenthood office for an appointment and a discussion of your contraceptive options (make sure you ask them to explain exactly how the pill works so that you understand what you have to do to protect yourself). You and your partner should also get full STD screens while you're at it. Using condoms is a fabulous way to protect yourself from disease, but you need to be screened anyway. Never having had sex before does not mean you're free from disease...STDs can be transmitted in nonsexual ways.

The best advice I can give you sweetie is to read the articles on our site and to call your local Planned Parenthood office. Its good that you're concerned about protecting yourself, but you need to get a better understanding to how to do so, and how your body works. There's no rush to have sex, get the information you need first.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.