Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » iritation ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iritation ?
stargoddess
Neophyte
Member # 7901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stargoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spermicidal Condoms.

Acording to this site scarletteen and staff perfer not to use spermicidal condoms but I don't see that a little iritation can cause more problems then just that. It seems that spermicidal condoms would only mean more protection. So why would a day or two of irritation be a bother if you knew your risk of preganancey was reduced?? So is this irritation more then just an irritation: what I mean is that does it cause a great deal of pain and the need of a doctor or is it just an irritation that goes away in time because if that is the case then I would think it would be a good thing to have!?

Thanks for your time!

------------------
...·:*¨¨*:·.StarGoddess.·:*¨¨*:·...

Posts: 10 | From: CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When spermicide irritates the genitals, it's because tissue is inflamed. Inflamed tissue is more suceptible to transmitting disease (with condom or no), so that's why we don't recommend spermicide. Even if it doesn't irritate you, using spermicide is like putting strong soap on your genitals. Not recommended.

Furthermore, the failure rate for condoms used properly is about 1 to 2 percent, I believe, while the failure rate for spermicide is 28%. That's the highest birth control failure rate on our list except for no contraception.
http://www.scarleteen.com/reproduction/birthcontrol.html

------------------
Ash
Scarleteen Advocate
"The level of our success is limited only by our imagination and no act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted"--Aesop

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additionally, the amount of spermicide on spermicidal condoms is not enough to kill much of anything. So using spermicidal condoms can cause irritation, and won't necessarily kill all the sperm...so really, why put yourself through the irritation and the actual added risk of disease?

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Consumer Reports:

quote:
Spermicide. Some condoms are packed with spermicide added to their lubricant. But the amount is too small to allow them to substitute for a separate vaginal spermicide used together with condoms. Indeed, the nonoxynol-9 packed with spermicide condoms may wind up largely staying behind in the packet, or may be on the wrong area of the condom to be most useful.

Public health experts say that spermicide condoms have not been proved to offer more protection against disease or pregnancy than other condoms. And there are drawbacks: They can cost more, have a shorter shelf life, and may irritate the skin of some users (which can render those people more susceptible to STDs and urinary-tract infections). Further, the spermicidal chemical can leach latex proteins from a condom, which could provoke an allergic reaction in a small percentage of people, some health officials say.

Guidelines issued by the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention note that it "has not been determined" whether spermicide condoms are more effective at stopping STDs than other condoms. But those guidelines were drawn up before research uncovered the disadvantages of spermicide condoms, says Dr. Kathleen M. Stone, a CDC epidemiologist and expert on sexually transmitted diseases. "There is no reason to use spermicide-lubricated condoms. We've been trying to tell people that for years," she adds.

Condom makers, however, say people want the extra protection and that spermicide would reduce active sperm if semen spills. The statement the FDA allows on packages says that the spermicide can decrease the risk of pregnancy, but that "the extent of decreased risk has not been established." There are "conflicting data," says Jim Cowsert, brand manager for Durex.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

"Years ago, I was an angry young man/I'd pretend that I was a billboard/Standing tall by the side of the road/I fell in love with the beautiful highway..."-Talking Heads, "(Nothing but) Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.