Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Talking to my Parents about the Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Talking to my Parents about the Pill
Dani
Neophyte
Member # 4223

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the scare my boyfriend and I had this weekend (we thought I had posibly gotten pregnant by cum on his hand touching my vagina, and then I was late, but we found out I wasn't) we decided it might be a good idea if I went on the pill. We aren't planning on actually having sex anytime too soon but just want back up in case something like that happens agian. I would really like to talk to my mom about this since it is part of my medical history and if I need to go into the hospital or something they'll need to know. I am just scared to bring it up because I know she'll freak out and think we are having sex and get mad because he is 18 and I am only 15. I know where we want to get them and everything, but I don't feel right about doing this behind her back. What should I say? How should I explain this so she won't freak out? Could she actually send him to jail if she can't prove we've had sex? (she's threatened to before, it's not that she doesn't like him, she just does it when she gets pissed)Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

------------------
~Dani

Posts: 36 | From: Flint, Mi, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh dear. while your intentions are very much in the right place, i hate to say this, but your mom can still get your boyfriend in a lot of trouble.

While you may not be having actual intercourse, a lot of age of consent laws include things like oral and manual sex as things minors cannot legally consent to. I don't live in Michigan and I don't know their laws for sure, but it really is something you should look into.

On the other hand, please, do talk to your mother. Honesty is a great and wonderful thing. I know it's hard to bring stuff like this up; lord knows I couldn't do it when i was 15. Ask your mother to take you to the doctor. Talk to your doctor about the Pill first. Maybe he or she will know how best to approach the subject with your mom so that she won't freak out, and you won't have to hide from your mother.

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to tell you this but the age of consent laws for us Michiganders prohibit you from legally having sex. Share this information with your boyfriend so the two of you can talk it over and decide what's best.

On the other hand, I think it's wonderful that you want to keep your parents informed. It's important for the very reasons you mentioned. Good luck, you have a complicated decision to make.

------------------
There is a time and a place for everything.

ICQ# 146582840

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.