Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Excess of Hair (Not how to get rid of it ;))

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Excess of Hair (Not how to get rid of it ;))
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 9 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! This is (as the real pink asked me to mention), not the real pink. She's moved, and I've inherited her computer, handles and all. I tried search and I couldn't find my question, and I'm not looking for removal tips-just a cause.

Since about the time I got actual pubic hair in the front, I've had actual thick, pubic hair in the back....you know, in the "crack" (gross sounding) of my butt. I remember a while ago I read something about excess hair, like it may be a hormone thing, but I can't remember. It's not messy or anything, just really inconvienant, weird looking, and embarrasing. So I was wondering if it's normal, or if I should get it checked out...any help is good help . Also, I know you can't have a definite for this, but if it is hormonal, do you think birth control would get rid of it? Thanks!

Oh, and I've had some midcycle bleeding for the past 6 months....nothing heavy, just kind of brown and sticky. I don't show any symptoms of STD's (besides that one?) and it doesn't hurt or anything. It was pretty much the same, it started a few days after my period ended, and lasted for a few days, but the last time, it lasted for almost a week and a half. Should I be concerned? Thanks!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like it's time for a visit to your doctor.

As far as the hair bit goes...it's really normal for your pubic hair to not just be confined to the "front" as you described it. Generally "excessive" hair that is an actual concern would be more like having your pubic hair extending up further toward your navel, down along the inside of your thighs, or up along your back. And with a hormonal imbalance, generally there will be excessive hair in other regions also...back, arms, neck, legs, chest, etc. However, I'm not a doctor, and I can't actually see what you're describing...so I can't tell you for sure that it's nothing. My advice would be to speak to your doctor at your next visit. Inform him or her of your concern and ask them what they think of it. Depending on what it looks like, and on your family history, they may tell you it's nothing, or they may want to run tests, etc.

And as far as your second question goes, I'm not sure I fully understand your question. You refer to it as "midcycle bleeding", and then said it began directly after your period...so I'm not exactly sure how that works exactly. It's common to notice some brown discharge after your period, generally that's just the last little bits of menstruation. However, if it truly is midcycle, then you need to be seeing a gyno to get it checked out.

Go see your doc...better safe than sorry.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And just as a note...if you're going to hang around and post here (as you're certainly welcome and encouraged to do), we'd like to ask that you register with a new username of your own. This is just to cut down on any confusion that might occur.

Thanks,
KittenGoddess

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.