Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » stage-fright!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stage-fright!!
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow morning I have to present this monologue in front of my theatre class. It's 1 minute and a half, and I am unbelievably nervous about presenting it.

I'm afraid I'll break character (laugh out loud while speaking), and on top of being nervous, my old crush is in that class and him and his friends are really immature. I'm afraid they'll just start laughing, and I get red easily, which brings me to another topic: I am red all the time. No, really. Is it possible that I have Rosacia (sp?)? I know you guys are busy but please try to asswer this one quick, it's late! Thanks so much.

------------------
Help me out, will ya?

happy holidays!!

Don't Mess with Texas

"Only in America, where we can dream as big as we want to."
-Brooks and Dunn

Life is not fair, a fair is a place you show cows

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We cannot diagnose medical problems here, as you probably no. If you're worried that you might have a particular condition, I'd suggest that you discuss it with your doctor.

As to your presentation, take a deep breath. Focus yourself. Your ex and his annoying friends do not matter. What matters is you and your monologue. If you can, try to imagine that you are alone in the room, or that no one is there except people who really want to hear your monologue and have it go well. Look only at people who you trust will not distract you (your teacher is a good bet, for starters).

You didn't mention if you tried this, but if not, it would be a good idea for future assignments to practice in front of as many people as possible. That way you get used to having an audience.

Good luck. Remember, take a deep breath and focus.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hey, stage fright is no fun at all, I've been there. I make sure that I'm completely prepared for whatever presentation I'm going to give, and then I go through a few extra steps that I can't promise it'll work for everybody, but here's what I do...

First of all, I wear something that makes me feel confident and comfortable and that commands attention and respect. Doesn't have to be a suit, but maybe something a bit nicer than what I usually wear...maybe a bright colored blouse with jeans. And then I listen to the Meredith Brooks song "Bitch" at least twice while dancing in front of the mirror before ever leaving my room in the morning. This contributes to my general "kickass" mindset. Even if you're presenting work in character, it's important to have a confident, commanding mindset and presence. So go in there with an attitude of "Hey, guess what? I'm gonna get up here and say something, and you're gonna sit there and listen to it whether you damn well like it or not!" This should help to take care of those worries about anybody laughing. Then, get very into your character. Become that character and give your monolog to an audience to which that character would be speaking. Example: If you're speaking as a writer of the Declaration of Independence, then make the audience the Continental Congress. Stop seeing them as a bunch of rowdy students, see them as the character would, in the scene.

And finally...just go in there and kick some butt! You'll be just fine.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 12-04-2001).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.