Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Guys and tights?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guys and tights?
LF
Neophyte
Member # 74427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

I've been wondering about this for sometime now and I've finally decided to come out and ask the question...

What do girls (and other guys) think about guys wearing tights?

I'm a 22-year-old male, straight; I do not wear any other women's clothing, but I somehow really like the feel of tights... I've been wearing tights for many many years (hiding from my parents), but now that I'm in college and away from my parents, I've been doing it a lot more. I wear them under my pants when I go to class during the winter (I also like that they keep me warm), and, as wrong as this sounds, I will admit that I like the look of my legs in tights (I only wear opaque tights that do not show through at all). So far I've been doing it without anyone's knowledge, but I would like to get it out more, maybe go jogging with them on...

So... what are your thoughts? Is this something that you, girl or guy, would accept? If you are a girl, would you accept this in a boyfriend/future husband?

Thanks for looking...

Posts: 5 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yelllowwalllpaper
Neophyte
Member # 74024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yelllowwalllpaper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, go for it. You have good reason, it seems, to wear them and while any sort of devation from gender norms will probably narrow the field a little but it might not be such a bad thing even if it did. I think you find someone more open to diverse forms of expression.
Plus, if your wearing something your confident in, confidence, not narcissism, is more attactice than anything you can wear. That's my experience, anyway

--------------------
"Divine I am inside and out, and I make
Holy whatever I touch or am
Touch'd from,
The scent of these arm-pits aroma finer
Than prayer,
This head more than churches, bibles,
And all other creeds"
-Song of Myself, Walt Whitman

Posts: 16 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yelllowwalllpaper, I don't see why the first poster has to have a "good" reason to wear tights, if they like wearing tights that should be reason enough, whether that reason is because they find them comfortable or because it's part of their gender expression or whatever else.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yelllowwalllpaper
Neophyte
Member # 74024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yelllowwalllpaper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainally agree that you don't need any qualifications to wear anything. I wasn't trying to say that his reasons were absolutely necessary, just that they are all good. If he simPly said, 'I like tights' My reaction would be the same.
I do see how I may have sounded slightly judgmental, and I appreciate the chance you gave me to clarify that.

--------------------
"Divine I am inside and out, and I make
Holy whatever I touch or am
Touch'd from,
The scent of these arm-pits aroma finer
Than prayer,
This head more than churches, bibles,
And all other creeds"
-Song of Myself, Walt Whitman

Posts: 16 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brennan
Activist
Member # 72864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brennan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Men in tights? Four words, my friend:

Yum, yum, yum, and yum.

Just as good as women in tights. Except socially taboo. Honestly, though, thy're not worth the stigma that surrounds them... They're just tights after all. go for it if it makes you feel good.

Posts: 48 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LF:
Is this something that you, girl or guy, would accept? If you are a girl, would you accept this in a boyfriend/future husband?

Heck yes and heck yes. I'd be both interested and impressed by someone who had the guts and the mental independence to go against gender norms.

Even if people are a little surprised by this, you may well find that they don't think it's such a big deal as you do. Of course, you know the people in your environment and we don't, so exercise your best judgement.

If you enjoy wearing tights, wear tights. You're not hurting anybody by so doing, and life is short.

Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yelllowwalllpaper, thanks for clearing that up.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reeree
Neophyte
Member # 70526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reeree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
honestly if the person really liked you they probably wouldnt be all that worried or freaked out over it. Their just pants! And its not anything big, your not hurting anyone, and like the other poster said- life is short!
Posts: 36 | From: The states | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LF
Neophyte
Member # 74427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a lot of good feedback - I have gained a lot more confidence in accepting who I am now. You are right - sometimes life is too short to worry about something that hurts no one else. Thanks to you all!
Posts: 5 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkatbits
Neophyte
Member # 45431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkatbits     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to pitch in here - this question is not about just guys being with girls but all genders.
Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kitkatbits, that's not correct. LF, who identifies as a straight male, is asking about how wearing tights might be seen by women. He's entitled to have his own situation be what it is - now, if you wanted to talk about all genders, or a similar situation, that's certainly applicable too and can be part of the same conversation. But there's no reason to "correct" LF for specifying the genders of the people in his situation.

(Tights rock). [Smile]

[ 08-11-2011, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: patrickvienna ]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LF
Neophyte
Member # 74427

Sorry for the slight confusion - I was curious about two opinions: that of girls who may be potential future partners, and that of both girls and guys who are friends or just people around me (that is, private vs. public perception). So in a sense, it is about all genders, but the emphasis is on women's opinion.

[ 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: LF ]

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LF - I'm genderqueer so really a mixture but I love tights on a man. Really hot and awesome. [Smile]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LF
Neophyte
Member # 74427

Thank you - I think they are awesome too [Smile]
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a completely straight woman and I do not see anything wrong with a man wearing tights. I am a ballet student as well so I often see men wearing tights [Smile] Personally, as a woman, I prefer not to wear them outside of ballet class because I find them uncomfortable and not very warm when you wear them with a dress or skirt. I suppose they would be a great help in keeping you warm if you wore them under pants though. I have actually heard of plenty of male athletes wearing tights under uniforms because it helps them keep warmed up and "holds things in place better" lol. I have a tip for you though, I don't know what you have been wearing thus far but if you really want to work out with them on, I suggest you buy some actual dance tights (i.e. Capezio) because they are a lot tougher than regular tights and can withstand lots of activity. You can find them on almost any dance site or store and they are made especially for men.
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LF
Neophyte
Member # 74427

That is a good suggestion - I will look into them. From what I've heard they are softer and more comfortable too. Thanks!
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm on lookbook and there is one guy there in particular who wears tights regularly and incorperates them in his look. so why not? wear them and make no excuses for them
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey LF,

May I throw in some more of the same "hell yeah" sentiment!

My friend wears brightly coloured tights long term! Most often he wears them with short jean shorts, and they work terribly well with his purple hair... he's a total inspiration and people actually approach him when we're in public to say "I love your tights!"

Which I guess is the real-world version of what I'm doing now.

Hey LF, great tights!

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilikecookies
Neophyte
Member # 107263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilikecookies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also find nothing wrong with guys wearing tights and find it hot. (my friends share my sentiments - one of the reasons we enjoy watching ballet [Razz] )

I have a friend who wears running tights all the time and I've got to say they make his butt look great.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, there were a bunch of kings and noblemen who used to wear tights, and we have paintings to prove. Maybe they were even made of silk... so fashion keeps on changing, and is not necessarily connected to who we are.
Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.