Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Trans inclusion and AIDS prevention education

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trans inclusion and AIDS prevention education
acb
Activist
Member # 108645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, by some crazy stroke of luck I have got an internship coordinating a state-wide HIV/ AIDS prevention education programme in Yucatan, Mexico. I went to the office to talk over the project and I noticed that it was approached from a very cis-gendered point of view. I'm a cis woman and have a really patchy knowledge of trans issues and identity - I'm constantly learning, but I'd really like to make sure that if I'm running this thing that it's as trans inclusive as I can make it. Has anyone got any links to good resources on including trans people in sex ed in general but specifically relating to AIDS or anything about trans people in Mexico? Also, if there's any Spanish speakers, how the heck do you go about using gender neutral language in Spanish? Because... there isn't any. I know this is super specific but any help would be greatly appreciated. [Smile]
Posts: 49 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi acb,

I'm not going to be overly helpful here but just wanted you to know your question has not gone unnoticed! I think it is SUCH a fantastic thing you are doing and even more fantastic is your attitude on how to make it more inclusive. I will try to find what info I can for you [Smile]

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi acb,

I second what nixiegurl said, and I'll try to dig you up some good resources today, as I know they are out there. I will say that you are taking a good first step in being careful with your language. Using gendered language and making assumptions about who has what genital arrangement are some of the common traps I've seen sex ed fall into in regards to trans folks.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
acb: on the gender issue in Spanish, these are conversations we've recently been having here when doing some translating of our pieces. Ultimately, the answer we've arrived at is that you often just don't/can't use gender-neutral language, because Spanish is a highly gendered language, and with its structure, you really can't take the gender out of it and still make any kind of sense. That may not be the only take, but in talking about it and asking around, it's what we've arrived at, even though we wish there was a better answer.

So, I'd just say that what you do is just ask your clients what language they use for themselves, and that's the language you use. You can also certainly ask them how they feel about this and what, if any strategies they employ to make the language less gendered.

[ 10-12-2013, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
acb: Here is a good masterpost on the subject of trans inclusive sex ed (at least one post deals specifically with HIV issues):
http://genderqueerid.com/sexuality
Hopefully it's a good place to get you started.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acb
Activist
Member # 108645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much, that link is brilliant! I think it will just be a matter of taking time to read Spanish trans resources and stuff. If you're looking to translate written stuff, though, I've seen the @ sign used to make words gender neutral i.e. novi@ instead of novia/ novio, l@s profesor@s instead of los profesores/ las profesoras etc. It only works in writing, not in speech, but as a mainly written resource, you might find it useful [Smile]
Posts: 49 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi acb!

Good to hear that link was useful to you, and of course also thank you for your suggestion with the gender neutral writing, I think it might indeed be useful [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.