Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » "Homecoming Rule Stirs Debate at Richland"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Homecoming Rule Stirs Debate at Richland"
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no secret to anyone that knows about Pennsylvania that the state has a bad history of close-mindedness and a reputation for unyielding to the changes of society on a whole. Richland School District near Johnstown PA is the newest in this question of changes needed.

This article was in the local paper this morning about a student that despite enough votes to be on the ballot for homecoming king was told they could not run for the king's ballot because their driver's license identifies them as female. It's also on the table whether Kasey will be able to choose which color cap and gown they will wear at graduation - and it's not the first PA case.

At what point does PA open their minds to the world and the needs of its people? What do you think the school should do / have done? Is it time PA looks at its laws again? What are your thoughts - (Please remember Scarleteen is a SAFE PLACE for all of our users, and be conscious of that in our answers and offerings of our opinions)

[ 09-04-2013, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I'm actually just horrified by the language used in that article. It's really inappropriate and disrespectful to say Caron "is a girl but identifies as a female-to-male transgender" and bring up his PCOS which probably has no relation to his identity (higher testosterone levels don't make people trans). If that's a reflection of supposedly unbiased journalism, then I can only imagine what the biased rest of the community is like. =(

It's really terrible to tie any sort of recognition of gender to one's driver's license, especially since PA's requirement to change the marker on a license is a letter from a doctor certifying that someone's had "transsexual surgery" which of course not everyone can access or even wants to have. Few high schoolers can access that sort of treatment even if they want it.

There's really no excuse to not let this student be in whatever homecoming court and graduation color he feels most comfortable in.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree. And the interesting part is that for a journalist it's probably something that is not as biasedly written as what others would write and think there is nothing wrong with (or in some misguided notion that they are helping people and supporting them). It's a scary concept.

Working in a school in PA, and teaching sexual education, I see a lot of this same close mindedness. I won't lie, living in PA can be really hard sometimes. When you speak out against actions or words of others it's often a feeling of you versus the masses, but I guess PA is not alone in that either. And so many of the students in the school are expressing its time for eyes and minds to be open and really understand a person, any person, every person. So at what point does that happen?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.