Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Trans* resources for parents/family members

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trans* resources for parents/family members
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last weekend I was at a conference focused on trans*/gender-variant youth and their families, and I came out of it with a lot of good information and a list of education/support/advocacy resources. I made a blog post about this on the main site, but I wanted to post the link and maybe open up some discussion about this topic here.

Have any of you who have come out to your parents or other family members about your gender identity felt like you've had to spend a lot of time educating them about your identity or about gender in general? Or found that they're downright terrified for your future health and safety and had to provide a lot of support to get them past that?

Have any of you put them in contact with any of these groups or similar ones, and have an opinion about how helpful they were? Or about what services you'd like to see from groups offering family support?

Also, I would love to hear from anyone outside the US who can share similar resources in other countries; this conference and my own experience are sadly limited and I would love to be able to point people towards resources in other parts of the world!

[ 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please consider these suggestions rather than recommendations, as I don't have the direct information or experience to recommend: in the UK, there's Mermaids http://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/ , specifically for young trans and gender-variant folk and their families, which is under the umbrella GIRES (Gender Identity Research and Education Society) http://www.gires.org.uk/ . In the larger cities, LGBT youth groups and centres are increasingly explicitly trans*-welcoming and sometimes have specific trans* support and groups, including support, advice and help with dealing with families.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneboikyle
Neophyte
Member # 107250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneboikyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to expand on what Redskies has put there, for areas around Manchester there is MORF (unfortunately only for trans* people assigned female at birth). The same group also has a binder exchange program which runs country-wide, which I have used and recommend. http://www.morf.org.uk/
Also, for UK-specific information on finding therapists, surgeons, support groups etc, http://gendertrust.org.uk/ is pretty good. However, it is just a list of information online (but very well organised) and not direct support.

EDIT: just realised I geared that toward trans* people themselves rather than friends and family - oops! Sorry! This is what happens when you don't stay focussed when replying. Most of those do have small amounts for SOFFA, but not much.

[ 07-27-2013, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: oneboikyle ]

Posts: 31 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.