Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Trans info Scotland/UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trans info Scotland/UK
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, the new NHS Scotland Gender Reassignment Protocol - here's what a trans blogger wrote about it, and links to the actual documents http://transactivist.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/scotland-hands-unprecedented-power-to-trans-patients/ Overall, it looks very good (for the usual standards in place currently) and progressive.

(I'm not closely familiar with the blog itself, but having read a few posts, it looks like a generally non-hatey place to link to.)

Also seen on that blog is a post about the sexual health guides for trans people produced by the Terrence Higgins Trust. Perhaps it's because I've never needed something like this, so never gone looking, but it seems to me that good information like that is quite scarce. This blogger seems to think they're good. http://transactivist.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/tht-publish-sexual-health-guides-for-trans-people/ (with onward links to the guides.)

[ 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redskies: thanks so very much for adding this!

And I LOVE Terence Higgins: they do some amazing work, and when I've referred users to them for help, they have always done a smashing job. Oddly, I was just telling someone else that yesterday.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Happy to. I figure that if I keep coming across awesome and/or helpful things on the net that I never knew existed, it can't just be me who didn't know about them.

I'd vaguely heard of Terrence Higgins as a HIV awareness/prevention/campaigning org, but had no idea that they're as fantastic as they look with sexual health info and resources and serving such a broad range of people in such a constructive and knowledgeable way.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loststone
Activist
Member # 51804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loststone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all awesome stuff [Smile] I've worked pretty closely with THT before, they are fab!

Redskies - I actually know the blogger you've referenced, I wouldn't worry, she's fantastic!

Posts: 134 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

loststone - awesome!

--------------------

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

There's now a draft protocol for treatment of trans* people in England. Linking to the same blog as above for information and analysis of it:
http://transactivist.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/have-your-say-on-england-gender-dysphoria-services/
http://transactivist.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/business-as-usual-a-look-at-the-draft-english-protocol-for-gender-dysphoria/
http://transactivist.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/guest-post-draft-protocol-review/

It's clearly not as good as the Scottish one (English/Welsh and Scottish NHS operate separately, although it's usually easy for a person from one nation to access temporary treatment in the other - as much as it is in a different place within the same nation, anyway.)

The part about an employment requirement made me splutter my coffee - that's really not ok! Particularly when unemployment rates of trans* people are typically higher. Employment status has absolutely no bearing on being trans* or on medical needs.

The inadequacy of treatment options for trans* people under 18 also struck me.

It makes me sad that the medical establishment won't listen well enough to the very people it's supposed to be serving and won't offer fairer and more efficient services. If the Scottish system can do better than this, why can't the English?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.