Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » questions about sexuality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: questions about sexuality
foreverbroken
Activist
Member # 96418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreverbroken         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this may be silly but all i know is there is bi,gay,lesbain,transgender and queer for sexuality besides straight. Are there other ones if so what are they? What does queer mean? Is there an article that i can read with all of these answers? I also am thinking i am more bi then straight. I am really asheamed and embarressed about it. I do not think i will say anything to friends or fammily only on here. I do think and know that i can and am sexuality and romanticly attracted to both genders. I am like 70% men and 30% women. Whats wrong with not being straight? Why do people have a big deal regarding this subject? I am really confused and would really like to talk all of this out if thats ok? Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Im always abandond

Posts: 363 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, nothing is wrong with not being straight. But if someone thinks there is, you can certainly ask them why they think so if you want to know why *they* think that way.

Why people make a big deal about people not being straight -- the people who do -- is pretty personal, because not everyone has the same reasons or rationales for thinking or feeling that way. So again, you'd have to ask those people, specifically.

The terms you listed up there are, with the exception of one, terms for sexual orientations as pertain to what gender of people -- one, more than one, any at all -- a person can feel or has felt sexual and romantic attraction towards. (Transgender is something else entirely, that's a term that describes a person's own gender identity, not a sexual orientation.)

When most people use the word queer, they usually just mean that they are not heterosexual.

There are thousands of words that define all kinds of sexualities, since sexuality is about more than gender. Lists of all those words tend to be encyclopedias, but we do keep a running glossary of some of the most commonly used terms pertaining to sexuality on our main site.

Why do you feel ashamed and embarrassed, do you think? About what?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreverbroken
Activist
Member # 96418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreverbroken         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can i get the link to that article please? I am ashamed and embarrassed because a lot of people are straight and not many people want to associate with people who are not. I dont want to go to hell. I was told that if i was attracted to the same sex i will go to hell. Is it ok to be BI and not have a relationship with the same sex as ourself? Thanks for the response it was really helpful. I have felt like was attracted to girls for a while now and finaly am comming to terms with it. I dont know if what i am doing is right or wrong tho

--------------------
Im always abandond

Posts: 363 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know who told you that about going to hell, but I'm very certain there is no one living who has any way of knowing what happens once we're dead, you know?

Also, if people go to hell for loving other people, it strikes me that that would be a pretty messed-up situation. And personally, I think anyone who thinks that way is thinking some pretty messed-up things.

No one else can tell someone what's okay for them in terms of what you're asking: we can only offer our personal options, or say what we feel is okay for us. If you're asking me, personally, yes I think it's okay, just as okay as it is to have a relationship with someone as a different gender, because I don't understand how those two situations are any different.

In terms of some basic articles about all this, I think you've been given these links already, but here they are again:
• The Bees and...the Bees: A Homosexuality and Bisexuality Primer
• Q is for Questioning

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreverbroken
Activist
Member # 96418

Thanks and i did get the second one not the first. I will be reading the first article when i have some time. Thanks and i dont think that i say if it makes someone happy then who really cares if it doesnt affect you then stop making a big deal about it! Right?

--------------------
Im always abandond

Heather
Member # 3

I think this is actually even bigger than what makes someone happy: this is about people loving each other.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

foreverbroken
Activist
Member # 96418

ya i tend to say if it makes them happy by loving someone of the same gender or anything like that then so be it. Let them be who they are its not hurting you in anyway is it? [Smile]

--------------------
Im always abandond

Heather
Member # 3

I'd say that's a very healthy approach.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

foreverbroken
Activist
Member # 96418

thanks:) ya i have felt that way for a while so i am happy there are othets feeling the same way as me.

--------------------
Im always abandond

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.