Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » guys wearing girl pants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: guys wearing girl pants
peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peterg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So yesterday I was hanging out with my friends in they college dorm room, and me and this one girl I know decided to try on each other pants. Well, when I put her's on, a size zero skinny jeans, I felt like I was floating on a cloud! They were so comfortable, a lot more comfortable than my own jeans! I was instantly in love with them. lol. well anyways, now I want to buy a pair of girl jeans.

So like all of last night and today, I asked around online and to my friends, if I were to wear girl jeans would it be weird, some people said yes that it would be weird, but other people said that it wouldn't be and I even met some other (straight) guys, online, who wear girl jeans. I however would only start off wit owning one pair of jeans, and i will probably try to hide them when I go home over the summer because I know that my family will ridicule me and call me gay if I were to be seen wearing girl jeans. (which I think is stupid because in society it's ok for girls to weird guy clothes, but then it's gay for a guy to wear girl clothes, it's stupid that it's like that, I mean it's only a piece of clothing, it's a shame that society is like that)

So today I decided that I would buy a pair of pants because they were so comfortable on my last night, but honestly I wish I could have taken my friends pants lol. Well I think that I can fit into a 00-0, I'm a very slim, tiny man lol, I'm 19 years old, and weigh 98 pounds, and I'm only 5'2".

Well tonight me and my (girl) friend went to Kmart to try and find some, but we couldn't find any in my size :/ So later this week, we are going to go to Walmart and see if we can find any jeans in a 00-0 size.

I'm straight just to say that, not that I have a problem with LGBTQ people, but if a guy wears girls clothes, most people assume that said person is a LGBTQ member, which is not my case. I just like that they are comfortable.

But I must say one thing that I don't like about girl jeans is the size of the pockets, I can't fit anything in them lol.

Also, my friend said that if I can't find anything to look online, so I did and I went to aeropostale's website and found things with sizes 00s, 00r, and 00L, what do the letters mean, and how do they apply to the pants?

Thanks for all the help guys, I love you guys, you've all helped me a lot. Let me know if you need any more info. [Smile]

Posts: 176 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear men's pants all the time, they aren't THAT different (I think there is a bit more room in the crotch of some men's pants), so I doubt anyone would be able to tell if you wore women's pants.

S means short, R means regular, and L means long.

I totally agree with you that it's stupid that it's considered "gay" for a guy to wear girls clothes. (Girls who like to wear guy's clothes do have issues, too, though - women are often considered a lesbian for wearing men's shoes, or even just not wearing heels.) Do you mind if people think you're gay, though? I mean, it shouldn't matter too much - how much business is it of someone who doesn't know you, anyway? And people who already know you are not likely to change their opinion on that just because of a pair of pants.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also (hobby seamstress reporting for duty!), the s/r/l usually fall into the following general inseams/lengths, which you'll probably want if you're used to buying men's pants, which typically have clear inseam measurement:
S - around 28 inseam
R - 30-32 inseam
L - around 34 inseam

Btw, my dude partner wears my jeans sometimes (sometimes on purpose, other times because he thinks mine are his).

Then again, neither one of us have had any big concern about people's ideas about our gender or orientation since we were each teenagers. And sometimes my jeans are those made for women, sometimes for men, so I don't even know how we'd figure out in our household what the gender of a given pair of pants I own is in the first place. That all said, gender is about people and our brains and constructs, so I'm also not sure I understand how it's any more sensible to assign clothing a gender than it is to say, assign soup a gender. [Razz]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peterg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, Thanks, and yes I do agree with you Kat, the crotch in mens pants are bigger, but also women's pants pockets, generally are a lot smaller, I can't even get my phone in them! And yes I agree with you I mean who cares what they think, if they think that i'm gay, then they THINK i'm gay, they don't know that i'm straight, only I know that, and i know that I'm straight.

Heather, so my measurements for guy pants are 26/28 and I usually wear 28/28, does that mean I should get a 00S? Thanks. And that's cool that your partner wears girl pants, I posted this same thing to Yahoo answers and there was this girl that answered, whose name was ironically Heather, and her husband wears girl pants, too.

So I'm going to go to walmart sometime this week to go pants shopping and if I can't find any there I might just buy some online. Although I'd rather try them on before I buy them.

Posts: 176 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. Must be a Heather-thing. [Razz] At the same time, like I said, you'd really have a hard time even figuring out which the "girl" pants and "guy" pants are in our house, particularly since we both wear all kinds of pants.

If the inseam you normally wear is a 28, then that wouldn't change with pants made for, or more to the point, marketed to, women. So yes, when S/R/L is your option, S sounds like the way to go for you. Of course, pants can always be hemmed, so if in doubt, you could go with the R and then hem them or get them hemmed if needed,

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

Ya i guess so . and ya that's true if both sets of pants are "plain" it'd be hard to differentiate from male/female pants.

And thanks for helping me out with the sizing, i'll try an S and an R if the S is too small.

So i posted something about my soc class on face boo. and my friend comments on it because i mentioned that my prof, mentioned key issues, and my friend was like how guys should "wear guy pants and girls should wear girl pants. wink wink hint hint" luckily you can delete comments on Facebook! cause I really don't wand anyone to know. but close friends. well anyways turns out that he found out that i'll be wearing girl pants from his girlfriend, whom I told about me wearing girl pants, sometimes I hate how you trust some people, but then they go off and tell people. but hopefully it won't happen again.

Heather
Member # 3

I'd say it's less about either "kind" of pants being "plain," and more about the fact that when, in a mixed-gender household, you have clothing everyone wears, this whole notion of pants having a gender gets more ridiculous than it usually is.

I was just trying to explain yesterday, as a related example, that, say, a guy who does nursing for his living might hear that he does a "girls" job. But how can it be a girl's job when he's doing it? When he's doing it, IDing as a guy, it's clearly a guy's job. Or, a woman who works as a logger may hear that's "men's work." But there she is: a woman doing it. So, when she's doping it, it's woman's work.

Ultimately, though, none of those things are even that, because affixing gender to this stuff just doesn't make any kind of sense unless a person with a gender decides it's about gender for them.

Another extension of that might be thinking about what gender of pants someone who doesn't identify with any gender at all, who is agender, would be wearing? If THEY don't have a gender, how could their clothes?

And maybe this is the kind of thing to remember if and when you need to respond to anyone about anything like this on Facebook or otherwise. Maybe you can bring up things like this, or ask them questions like this to make them think.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just realized the clearer way of saying all of this is that the only thing that makes "girl" pants "girl" pants per when you buy them is that the person selling them says they're for girls.

Believe me -- and I saw this as someone who is "supposed" to have a "typical" woman's body (wide hips, big boobs, etc.) and as someone who sews -- clothing marketed to women often isn't clothing that fits all, or even most women. Just like, as you've experienced now, clothing marketed to men isn't automatically the best fit for your body.

Really, it's all about marketing, marketing that basically plays on people's fears, most typically, about performing their gender the "right" way. And makes bank doing so, no less.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

very good point, and I like how you brought up the men doing nursing, and other work deemed by society as a "girl's job", cause last year, I took a CNA course, I never made it a career, but i was the only guy in the class with 18 other girls, it was great being surrounded by women, what more could a straight guy ask for! [Wink]

and that's true about people who don't associate with a gender, cause if clothes were to be gender specific, what would they wear, nothing?! lol

And ya, if people will question what I wear, i'll ask them questions similar to the points that you have brought up. Thanks.

And ya I think that when I get these pants, that they'll be really good, cause right now I'm wearing a pair of guy 28/28 skinny jeans, and the legs are bunched up, and when i'm walking my pants fall down. :/

Heather
Member # 3

LOL. [Smile]

Really? I think things like this boil down to this: someone who is fine just wearing the clothes they like and fit them, regardless of what gender is attached to them is someone WAY more secure in their masculinity than a dude who jibes another dude with this stuff.

So, maybe, if you're feeling brave, another response you can have if jibed is, "I'm really sorry you don't feel as secure as I do in my masculinity. That's got to really suck." [Razz]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

yes, that is very true, and a great rebuttal for what others may say. I can't wait to go shopping and find a pair that really fit me, I hope that I can find a pair at Walmart so I can try them on before I buy them, unlike what would happen if I were to buy them off the internet.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm going to maybe step out of line a little and put in a vote to shop somewhere, anywhere, almost, else besides Walmart. I know it's not really my place, so dismiss this if you like, but it's simply one of the most unethical big companies there is in the US right now. [Frown]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

right, I do agree with you, they (walmart) could really treat their workers, and small businesses that end up closing as a result of Walmart, a lot better. But mainly the reason I'm going to walmart is that I'm at college, and i can only go select places by bus, there is a target, so i might try there, as well. The closest mall is about 45 mins away. ... What stores do you think I'd most likely find 00-0 pant sizes at, if you know of any?
Heather
Member # 3

You'll do fine with that at Target. Much better ethics. Thanks for caring! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

ok, thanks, I'll let you know when I get a pair of pants, thanks for the help! [Smile]
peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

So, I bought my pants today, from Kohl's, turns out we have one where the buses take you, so that was convenient! well, I went with 2 of my girl friends, and it was originally going to just be us, but then our friends Matt and Dakota, decided to come because they didn't want "to be alone", I would've preferred that they stay on campus, but w/e. Well, when I went to buy the pants, Matt made a comment on how they are girl jeans, and whatever else, how there's no crotch room, etc. so I just told him about them being comfortable and about how women wear boxers, and that was settled there. So I got my jeans, and my girl friends, Melissa and Brin, both said I looked good in them [Smile] The jeans were a size 0, but they were still too long on me :/ short people problems. lol So i'm going to have to get them hemmed at some point. but other than the length of the legs, they were fine. ... So when I'm standing up, should the jeans be nice and straight and smooth, all the way down? or should there be little "ripple" (where it bunches up, only a little? Thanks again for the support! [Smile]
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Peter!

That's great to hear that you had success in finding a nice-fitting pair of jeans! Also, that was a clever response to your friend's questioning of you buying girls' jeans, so props to you on that. [Smile]

As for how girls' jeans should fit, it depends on the jean itself. For example, some skinny jeans have a ripple at the bottom if either: 1. the jeans are a little too long for someone or 2. the ankle is not as tapered as other skinny jeans.

As for being "smooth all the way down", the converse of that is true. So either: 1. the jeans might be a little bit short for the person or 2. the ankle is more tapered than other skinny jeans. Also, another reason for skinny jeans sometimes not rippling at the bottom is that they could possibly be cropped skinny jeans (which tend to be more tapered in style).

Either style can be considered very "fashionable". [Smile]

[ 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

yes, now i've just thought of this, but should I, in the future, ever be worried about impotence or other sexual disfunctions as a result of wearing girl pants, due to the fact that they are tight in the crotch region for guys? Or is that nothing to worry about? Cause I've had to wear singlets for wrestling, which are skin tight. But then again, singlets are made out of spandex, and jeans are made out of a more sturdy material. I'm just wanting to now of the tightness of the pants in the crotch reason is any thing to be of concern, Thanks.
peterg
Activist
Member # 46581

In addition to the stuff mentioned above, where do you usually put big things that won't fit into your front pockets, because they are too small, such as your mobile phone, when you don't have a purse or bra, such as in my case. Thanks.
Alexalex
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 100767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wearing super constricting clothing might lower your sperm count (because you are keeping your balls a little warmer than "ideal" for sperm)- keyword "might", because science is still kind of out on whether or not it truly matters - but it will go right back up again once you stop. So if and when you're ready to father kids, yeah, you might want to put some looser clothes on for awhile just in case (a lot of guys end up switching from briefs to boxers, even) but it shouldn't do any permanent damage. As long as you're not feeling any pain when you're wearing them, I wouldn't worry.

As for storing things that won't fit in your pockets... well, now you know why girls carry purses, I'm afraid! Messenger style bags are pretty popular with the tight-pants crowd :-)

[ 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Alexalex ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.