Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » To live in Drag or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To live in Drag or not?
Poppa Q
Neophyte
Member # 96321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poppa Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently found myself to be thinking I am more Genderqueer rather than Lesbian. But transitioning from female to male has always been in the back of my mind. I am part of the Calgary Fake Mustache Troupe which is a troupe of drag kings who perform at local bars as well as Pride festivals around our area. But I've been super confused lately as to if I want to stay in drag or stay as I am.

I don't have a problem with being called either Sir or Ma'am, or anything in between that because I really don't mind being either or gender. But I'm confused as to how I can feel like both at the same time.

I'm more concerned as to the reaction of my fiancé, she is not 100% sure she would ever get used to having to identify as straight again if I did decide to transition, nor do I want to take away her label as lesbian.

What I'm really looking for here is advise on being genderqueer. This is all new to me and I'm not sure how to sort out my feelings towards day to day things as seeing myself as both male and female. Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am the only person I know who feels this way.

Thanks!

--------------------
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come." - Ellen Degeneres

Posts: 2 | From: Calgary Canada | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Activist
Member # 96015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend checking out http://genderfork.com/ and http://genderqueer.tumblr.com/ to feel a bit less alone in feeling how you feel and see some pictures/poems/commentary on how other folks feel about gender. It also wouldn't hurt to take a peek at Genderpalooza! right here on Scarleteen: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/genderpalooza_a_sex_gender_primer

I identify as genderqueer, if you have any more specific questions about what it feels like I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Posts: 62 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would your partner have to change her own identity if she didn't feel it has changed?

In other words, your gender identity changing, or you identifying it differently is about you, not about her. This changing for you doesn't change who she is.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poppa Q
Neophyte
Member # 96321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poppa Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue with her no longer exists. We are comfortable where we are now as me being genderqueer. She's totally 100% supportive.

But one thing I am having problems with is I get a lot of ridicule from random people out in public about how I look male but they can clearly see a female anatomy. I try to be as confident and nice to those who don't understand or choose to be rude, but it seems like that only makes things worse.
How can I reply to someone who is asking questions but refuses to hear my side of why I feel this way?

--------------------
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come." - Ellen Degeneres

Posts: 2 | From: Calgary Canada | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Papa Q,

I'm glad to hear that your partner is comfortable with and supportive of your identity. It sounds like the two of you are doing a lot of thinking and communicating around this. Terrific!

How you manage people who ask question but don't want to hear the answers really depends on who those people are. If they're random people on the street that you don't know, you may be better off deciding that it isn't your job to educate them and that if they're going to be so disrespectful they're not worth your time and energy. If they're friends that likely warrants a different response. Family? A diffrent response again, most likely.

Unfortunately, we can't walk around with little USB drives of the information we want people to know and insert the drives into those people whenever needed. Actually, that's not so sad since people could use that against us. [Smile] So communication ends up being much more of a process, and the way we approach that process and the amount of energy and commitment we put into it will depend on who the people are, what the circumstances are, and sometimes even how we're feeling that day.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.