Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Legal age for HRT?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legal age for HRT?
AceofSpades42
Neophyte
Member # 104220

Icon 5 posted      Profile for AceofSpades42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the legal age that you have to be to start Hormone Replacement Therapy? I know it differs between country, state, and whether or not you have parent consent. I would really like to know how old you have to be with and without parent consent in Japan, New York (U.S.), Massachusetts (U.S.), and Kentucky (U.S.)
Posts: 12 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi AceofSpades42,

I don't know this, but can do some research. Have you done any research of your own? If so, what have you found?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AceofSpades42
Neophyte
Member # 104220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AceofSpades42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't found much, only the legal age for England, and the age you must be if you want to transition without parent consent in the U.S. (18).
Thanks for helping with the research.

Posts: 12 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that there is not a set age in the US, at least according to the Standards of Care as set forth by WPATH (and followed by most doctors in the US that treat trans patients). The language in the Standards of Care hinges on the "age of medical consent" if the parents/guardians do not want to authorize hormonal treatment.
I found this chart which shows if minors can legally consent to medical treatment, broken down by state, which may be helpful; the catch is that I'm not sure what category hormone therapy would fall under here.

So it looks like your best bet would be to ask individual doctors in your area (or whatever area you think you might be trying to access medical care). Even with the Standards of Care as a loose medical standard, there are doctors who are more or less strict with that as a guideline.

[ 06-09-2013, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AceofSpades42
Neophyte
Member # 104220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AceofSpades42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much, Molias! I'm thinking that the only category it would fit under would be General Medical Health Services. Can you make any sense of this?

7. Minor may consent if a parent; also if married in DE, KY, ME, MD, MN, MS, MO and NV; also if married or pregnant in CO, FL, IL, MA, MT, NJ, NY and OK.

If a parent ____?

Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi AceofSpades42,

I took a look at the chart to see if I could help and it looks to me like it is saying that a minor can consent to medical care if they are a parent. So if you are a minor and you have children of your own then you can consent to your medical care.

I think the best thing to do would be to call doctor(s) in you area and ask them directly. That way you know for sure and you have a chance to ask questions.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AceofSpades: are you already under the care of a therapist who could prescribe HRT for you?

If not, I'd suggest taking that initial step and starting that process first. That way, you'll have a person who will know the legal policies in your area to the letter, and since it's also the only bonafide way for you to get HRT anyway, it's something you'd have to start with regardless, you know?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meggsy
Neophyte
Member # 104252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meggsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine that the decision is made by a qualified medical practitioner to treat a medical problem irrespective of age.
Who decied you needed HRT?

Posts: 37 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AceofSpades42
Neophyte
Member # 104220

Thank you Heather and Meggsy. I do have a therapist, but before I do anything further, I think I need to work up the courage and tell my parents about all of this. I think that would help quite a bit.
Meggsy: I did, but I'm not completely sure it's what I want, yet.

AceofSpades42
Neophyte
Member # 104220

And Haleigh! Sorry! I didn't mean to forget you. I may post here again once I've talked to my parents.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point in asking about the therapist was that you can ask them all of these questions, and they'll be the best person to have the most relevant answers. [Smile]

And, of course, you can ask these kinds of questions without starting HRT just yet or, if you decided against it at any time, starting it at all.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.